How old are you?

Im Matt, 44 and started riding at about 12 years old.

Owned more bikes than I care to think about but the one that has stayed with me (it sits in my livingroom as art at the moment) is a rare 1989 GSXR750RK.

Was into track riding for a while but Im too full of titanium now to be doing them shinanigans any more so distance and adventure is my thing now.

Ridden all over in the last few years, probably about 30 countries in total and rising every year...

I'm 49. Two seasons ago I purchased an 06 Gen II with 8,000 miles on it. It now is approaching 21,000 miles. I started riding about age 10 and over the years have owned a long list of dirt bikes. About 10 years ago the street bike craze hit with a "free" '81 Honda CB900C that cost about $1000. Then I went through a few bikes from the the Kawasaki 650R, Versys, and Sportster. I used to think liter bikes were overkill, not! My FZ has way more power than I'll ever use but it is nice knowing you have it! Especially while commuting on I-5.

Last year I picked up a set of 1" lowering foot pegs (Knight Design, if my memory serves correct), plus I just ordered a pair of 1" up & 1.25" back handlebar clamp adapters. That should help the FZ ergos even more.

It is interesting to see the average age of the FZ rider.

I'm waiting for delivery of the 1'' lower Knight Design pegs. how do you like them.

I'm waiting for delivery of the 1'' lower Knight Design pegs. how do you like them.

The 1 " drop makes a slight difference and my 49 yr old body appreciates every little advantage it can get. You will have to make some adjustments with your shifter and brake linkage. There is enough adjustment in the stock controls to do this. I put about 8000 miles on those pegs and to me it was worth it (purchased the gold anodized pegs). Every little bit helps.

Tonight the mailman delivered a 1" up and 1.25" back handlebar adapter I ordered off of ebay. I just came in from the garage after installing them and can tell you that I already like that mod too. The adapters work with the stock cables and brake lines.

I think between those two mods it cost me around $170 w/shipping and it is worth it in the comfort category. I'd like to find a used seat and have it reworked to be twice as thick. That should give a little more leg room on longer rides. At times I'll rest my legs on the frame sliders to give them a stretch and that helps also.

Good luck, I hope you enjoy your new foot pegs.

Updated the chart (65 responses* so far):

Mean Age: 45.6
Median: 47

More than half the FZ1 riders responding are in their 40's or 50's.
* I only counted those who said they currently owned an FZ1

Last edited:
I'm 33 and started on Dirt bikes then went to cruisers,up to touring now going backwards to a sport tourer... Bought the FZ1 3-4 weeks ago. Last year I sold my Dirt bikes and got a real craving to try a Sport style bike,did the yamaha demo's and rode a R6 which was fun but not quit for me so I say a 2008 FZ6 for sale with only 2400KM on it so I said what the hell.I rode that one for almost a year and spent over a grand in mods then my wife say's I think I would like to ride that bike:box: so whats a husband to do ? yes Dear you can have the bike.... then I went out and picked up the FZ1 LOL.

I still kept my 2006 Goldwing for our long trips and 2up riding and now have 3 machines in my garage... I have to say the sport touring FZ1 with the few mods I have done really fit what I was looking for..

30. Previous bikes (in order):

1975 Honda CB750 SS
2007 Suzuki Burgman 400
2007 Yamaha FJR1300
2006 Honda Ruckus
2011 BMW F650GS
2009 Kawasaki KLX250

Current garage:

2009 Yamaha WR250R
2009 Yamaha FZ1 w/ Retro Kit (bought the bike NOS)
2013 Raptor 90 - ATV for the kiddo
2012 Raptor 700R - ATV for me :)

Im 55 and getting cranky about it! :justkidding:

terdog-albums-pics-picture3700-014small.jpg

Between the FZ,
terdog-albums-pics-picture3766-quincy-pics-7-13-058a.jpg

and my 3hunney,
terdog-albums-pics-picture3846-jakes-bday-ride-021-1.jpg

I just seem to keep myself pretty happy!`

NOW GET OFF MY LAWN!!!

The 1 " drop makes a slight difference and my 49 yr old body appreciates every little advantage it can get. You will have to make some adjustments with your shifter and brake linkage. There is enough adjustment in the stock controls to do this. I put about 8000 miles on those pegs and to me it was worth it (purchased the gold anodized pegs). Every little bit helps.

Tonight the mailman delivered a 1" up and 1.25" back handlebar adapter I ordered off of ebay. I just came in from the garage after installing them and can tell you that I already like that mod too. The adapters work with the stock cables and brake lines.

I think between those two mods it cost me around $170 w/shipping and it is worth it in the comfort category. I'd like to find a used seat and have it reworked to be twice as thick. That should give a little more leg room on longer rides. At times I'll rest my legs on the frame sliders to give them a stretch and that helps also.

Good luck, I hope you enjoy your new foot pegs.

Thanks for the reply, I just received my pegs today. I will give my opinion after I do some riding with them. :tup:

I was 24 when I got my 01 FZ1. (first Bike I ever rode) Put 27k on it. Then I bought my 06 R1 Raven new and I'm up to 28k. Now at 33 I'm thinking about an 06-09 fz1

At tire change

Painted

R1

Last edited:
56yrs old. Just got an 06 FZ1. Been riding since I was 12. Thought the FZ would be a good 2nd bike for my Harley.
Graves full exhaust
commander 3
Tall windshield (Just installed)
1"up1" back risers (To be installed)
Cortech bags
3800 actual miles. (Not for long)

Back