How old are you?

Guess I haven't weighed in on this one....I'm 57 and have wanted a FZ1 for years, well, since they came out with Gen I. Now I have a very nice 2012 Gen II.

My last bike was a BMW R1150R. Nice bike, but the FZ1 is worlds different in terms of performance. I am now at the point where I see a limit to how much longer I'll be able to ride. Don't know where that limit is, but it is out there now, creeping up on me slowly.

Guess I haven't weighed in on this one....I'm 57 and have wanted a FZ1 for years, well, since they came out with Gen I. Now I have a very nice 2012 Gen II.

My last bike was a BMW R1150R. Nice bike, but the FZ1 is worlds different in terms of performance. I am now at the point where I see a limit to how much longer I'll be able to ride. Don't know where that limit is, but it is out there now, creeping up on me slowly.

I'm with you which is why I bought my 2012 FZ1. I'm sure I'll have a few more good years but I want to enjoy it while I know I can. It's a b***h getting old and still thinking young.

I'm with you which is why I bought my 2012 FZ1. I'm sure I'll have a few more good years but I want to enjoy it while I know I can. It's a b***h getting old and still thinking young.

Hopefully I'll know before I get into a bad situation, where my awareness, skill and reaction time just aren't there any longer. Perhaps a long time from now, but you have to be realistic too.

Turned 60 on April 20 2013. Yes, I'm old.

Got back into riding after 25 years of dull life. Waaay back I was a bike mechanic for years until my wife talked me into getting an education in computer stuff and getting a hi-tek job. So I did. A son was soon born who got old enough to want a bike. Wife and I both said "NO WAY!" Just like my mother did when I was 16. My son now has a 06 cb600F4i (nice bike) and I got the bug again. Wife said "go get a bike if you want one". So... next day bought an FZ8 in 2011 and love it! But needed a more hi-way friendly machine so just bought an FZ1 leftover (2012). Now have FZ8 and FZ1. Hate to sell the 8. That is one sharp bike in gloss black. Gets a LOT of attention. Even from Harley dudes!

Not Too Old

I am 71 and have ridden since 1966. First bike was Kaw 175, Honda CB305 then Kaw 750, Honda ST1300, Honda Shadow, Yamaha 750. Now 2003 FZ1. This bike is stupid fast and I love it.

Wow I felt old before I came in here.... :surrender:

Kevin here... 42 and just got my fz1 a couple of months ago.

First bike in 10+ ok more like 15 years! Rode a Ninja 600r for about a decade a whole 'nother life ago. I laid it down in a beach town on a road full of sand and promised my family I would give it up. I've had a myriad of dirtbikes over the years, but the ninja and the fz are my only streetbikes.

I'm older and wiser now, and I'm not commuting in LA, I use it to tour California, take some pictures, go on overnighters to get out of the city, test myself a little in the twists.. Its been perfect.

Without the mountains and canyons of California I'd probably have a cruiser and honestly, expect to trade her in when my time out here is up. But for now I'm gonna enjoy the hell out of it!

47 for 2 more months. I've been riding since I was 8. First streetbike was a 1977 Honda CB750. Then, Incinerator 500, RZ350, CBR600. The "Hurricane" was my first and only brand new purchase. I put over 106,000 miles on it.

Marriage II meant no more riding. However, marriage II is now going on 14+ years and the rules are losing some grip.

Enter the 'fixer-upper' 2003 FZ1. Bought it July 9th and took my first ride last week. 2nd ride was yesterday. After tons of work, it's getting close. Just needs some more tuning before it's good. That and fork seals replaced..and R6 shock conversion installed. Along with all the 'tweaking' to make it suit me and my riding style.

I've recorded 60 answers..
Average age thusfar = 46.03333333333333

Last edited:
I'm 49. Two seasons ago I purchased an 06 Gen II with 8,000 miles on it. It now is approaching 21,000 miles. I started riding about age 10 and over the years have owned a long list of dirt bikes. About 10 years ago the street bike craze hit with a "free" '81 Honda CB900C that cost about $1000. Then I went through a few bikes from the the Kawasaki 650R, Versys, and Sportster. I used to think liter bikes were overkill, not! My FZ has way more power than I'll ever use but it is nice knowing you have it! Especially while commuting on I-5.

Last year I picked up a set of 1" lowering foot pegs (Knight Design, if my memory serves correct), plus I just ordered a pair of 1" up & 1.25" back handlebar clamp adapters. That should help the FZ ergos even more.

It is interesting to see the average age of the FZ rider.

Last edited:
53 years young.

Started riding in 1976 in England. Rode there for 21 years before moving out here. Had a break from riding as priorities such as a place to live etc. took up funds. Then I got the bug again in late 2003 and bought a Suzuki SV1000S which I still have. A few years ago we bought a house and my wife said I could get a second bike. So just over 2 years ago I picked up a 2002 Fazer 1000 (FZ1).

49 years old. Started riding in '82 but stopped in '88 due to moving across the country and life getting in the way.
Got back on in 2009 with a FZ6R and just traded it for a new FZ1.

Back