How often do you change Air Filter?

How often do you change/clean your air filter?

• 4,000-6,000

Votes: 2 22.2%
  • 6,000-8,000

• 8,000-10,000

• 10,000-12,000

Votes: 3 33.3%

• Total voters
Just curious how often it is people are changing their air filter? My shop tech told me every 8,000 miles. I thought the Fz1 service manual said 12,000 miles and I'm sure some people do it longer or shorter (K&N cleaners).

What are any advantages/disadvantages to any which way?

I personally am afraid to throw on a K&N because I was talking to the Two Brothers Racing customer service manager and he was explaining that when you do a slip on and an air filter without a PC or JBP that the bike will run too lean and have mechanical problems. Basically he said, no problem with just doing a slip on, but once you mess with the air flow in, then it's best to adjust with ECU flash or PC/JBP.

Also when I did my slip on I didn't do the AIS blocking because I like the popping sounds. Is this going to cause problems?

This is an air filter with 12,000 miles on it because I was lazy and got distracted. pretty gross.

View attachment 16267

The manual says every 24k miles. I have a K&N airfilter and usually clean it every 24k, never feel a difference before/after so the airfilter is dirty when I clean it. In case you drive lots of dirt roads or have lots of dust in the air I would clean it more often. Usually I check the airfilter every 12k miles during my standard maintenance.

J
I personally am afraid to throw on a K&N because I was talking to the Two Brothers Racing customer service manager and he was explaining that when you do a slip on and an air filter without a PC or JBP that the bike will run too lean and have mechanical problems. Basically he said, no problem with just doing a slip on, but once you mess with the air flow in, then it's best to adjust with ECU flash or PC/JBP.

Also when I did my slip on I didn't do the AIS blocking because I like the popping sounds. Is this going to cause problems?
View attachment 16267

I have a Leo Vince Titanium slip on and when I did the K&N filter I had popping even with AIS blocked so it was running lean when letting go off the throttle. The adding of an PCV and slight modifications of a canned map worked well in removing the popping from all situations. There are other riders which did not experience this after doing both slip on and filter which tells you that it depends on the slip on design. I would not do it without knowing that you can buy a PC V in case you need it.

Blocking the AIS is only needed if you want to hear if you have popping from a lean condition or if you hate the popping in general. It makes Spark Plug changes much easier as well.

I have a K&N and the blurb says

Never Replace Your Air Filter Again

Handmade in the USA and in the United Kingdom using only the finest materials, K&N OE Replacement Air Filters are washable and reusable. Regardless of what you’ve heard, it’s almost impossible to wash your K&N Air Filter too much. Inside our testing laboratory, we have washed and re-oiled one K&N Air Filter more than 100 times and it still performs up to specification. Depending on your driving conditions, we recommend cleaning your air filter every 50,000 miles (80,000 kms).

My bike has done 20k kms since new and I've had the k&n air filter cleaned twice, during the 10k services.

So to answer the OP, I'm cleaning it every 6,000m/10,000k and replace should be never.

Last edited:
Once. Took out the stock and put in the K&N. :tup:

Cleaned as needed which isn't too often. Likely every 15 - 20k unless I hit an exceptionally dirty/dusty ride.

Back