How much better are tapered bearings

In the steering on the FZ? I'm due for a repack. I took a SV1000 with just over 12000 on the clock yesterday and there was almost no grease in the bearings so I'm guessing my FZ will be very similar.

All balls kits are pretty cheap but is there enough improvement to justify the extra time and effort to install tapered bearings instead of just repacking the oem rollers?

I'm due for a fork oil swap too so I'll just do it all at the same time.

I replaced my steering head bearing with an all ball and it works since 20k miles without any issues no repack needed. My original one lasted about 34k and there is no difference as long as both are working.
I would not exchange the bearing if it has less than 25k because it costs a lot of time and is quite cumbersome to press the new bearing correct into place. Also check if you have the right tools before attempting it. getting the old bearing from the lower tripple rod was a true pain. Heat and freez the different parts at the same time might help.

I'll just repack the stockers. My steering has definitely loosened up some... Probably some help from Michigan potholes and wheelies. The fork oil on the sv was pretty nasty so I'll make a day project out of swapping oil and repacking bearings.

The Fz is great with fork oils I changed mine after 36k and it was still transperant and indistinguishable from the new. The feel afterwards was not much changed. Other bikes need more often service.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Back