How many miles to a tank

I got my '08 new this year and my first couple tanks were real low, under 100.
Then the gas mileage has gotten progressively better. Depending on how I ride I get between 35 and 40. My buddies '03 GSXR 1000 gets between 40 and 45 depending on how he rides, what's up with that :)

Nothing like the look on his face as the FZ1 is keeping up with his stack :yes:

There's too many variables to say why. Weight, gearing, carbs vs fuel injection. As you break the bike in you should go up a little in the mileage dept. but from what I've been hearing, your about average in terms of mileage on the GenII. Also, with the smaller tank, the mileage is more noticible being that your trips to the pumps are more frequent.

I'm slipping -- last three tanks have avg 33.3 to 4.3 gallons. down close to to 10 mpg, but up in RPM and :D

Adam

Last edited:
i got 41mpg on my first tank, with the new fz1.....i hope after break-in, it'll get better. todd

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't count on it. 40-42 MPG is pretty much the average that you'll get with the Gen II bikes. Maybe you can get 45 MPG if you drive 60-65 MPH on the highway, but what fun is that :D

Where's the Missing 1/2 gallon?

According to the manual, GenII tank cap. is 4.76 gal.. Reserve is .9 gal.. That leaves 3.86 gallons between full and reserve. If I fill the tank as full as I can get it, which is at the bottom of the filler tube, when the reserve light starts flashing I can never get more than 3.3 gal in the tank. Where's the other .55 gal?!!? Do I have that much more than I think I do on the reserve? Is it impossible to fill the tank to the rated capacity? It would be nice to know this. If my reserve goes on with 1.5 gal instead of .9 gal left, I have 20 more miles before my trusty hitch hikin' thumb gets used... and I haven't hitchhiked in 30 years - I'm not sure it works anymore.

Last edited:
According to the manual, GenII tank cap. is 4.76 gal.. Reserve is .9 gal.. That leaves 3.86 gallons between full and reserve. If I fill the tank as full as I can get it, which is at the bottom of the filler tube, when the reserve light starts flashing I can never get more than 3.3 gal in the tank. Where's the other .55 gal?!!? Do I have that much more than I think I do on the reserve? Is it impossible to fill the tank to the rated capacity? It would be nice to know this. If my reserve goes on with 1.5 gal instead of .9 gal left, I have 20 more miles before my trusty hitch hikin' thumb gets used... and I haven't hitchhiked in 30 years - I'm not sure it works anymore.

I wonder the same. I keep waiting a little longer each time between fill-ups. The most I have pushed it is about 125 miles.

Hi Guys..

New here... :)

I've had my '08 beastie (naked version) for a year now.. never got more than 120 miles from a tank. But, took it in for yearly service and they fiddled with the settings (air/fuel mix or something like that) on the dash, and it seems a bit better. Wrang its neck fairly today and still have 3 bars up after 96 miles.

According to the guys at the shop, apparently the factory settings are shite. It's running tons better now, especially low down, and seems like there's a lot less "wasted" fuel (ie popping and burbling noises, which is a bit of a shame really coz it made me giggle a lot!)..

Did the most so far on reserve today.. 18 (mental) miles, and it took 16 quid to fill which is the most ever. Ouch!

Lately, I've been big, fat goose egg. My installers baricaded the bike in the garage so I've been going nowhere fast.

My next tank fuel eonomy is going down the crapper :sinister:

Boy! I thought I was a stickler for keeping track of my mileage and MPG but you've got me beat by a mile Bronco! Nice job, and great mileage too!

Thanks Billy,

I like to keep records of my fuel economy mainly as a means of monitoring running condition. If I see a continuing trend of decreased fuel economy that can’t be explained away by weather conditions or riding style, then I know it is time to consider a tune up.

Not bad idea.

Thanks Billy,

I like to keep records of my fuel economy mainly as a means of monitoring running condition. If I see a continuing trend of decreased fuel economy that can’t be explained away by weather conditions or riding style, then I know it is time to consider a tune up.

I always did that for my class 8 truck, on a laptop that I brought with me. No shortage of spare time when you are on the road as a trucker. As for the bike I just keep mental tabs of the average distance on the trip meter per tank. If I see any thing out of the ordinary that my riding can't explain then I'll investigate and track. I really did not even consider fuel economy when making the purchase, that part of my brain was shut off when I went to the dealership, in fact I am not sure how much blood was making the climb to my upper body.:rolleyes:

I really did not even consider fuel economy when making the purchase, that part of my brain was shut off when I went to the dealership, in fact I am not sure how much blood was making the climb to my upper body.:rolleyes:

LOL... me either... saw it.. wanted it.. bought it!

Oh yeah, and... love it!

Every time I head to the gas station (which is, like, all the time!), I just remember how much fun it is and how worthwhile the ridiculous fuel economy is!

I rode 310 miles yesterday on my NEW '08 and on the first part of the ride, it went 155 miles on 3.8 gals, approx 40 mpg--road was a narrow 2-lane (90%)and never got much above 65 mph. Second part of the ride was freeway, mostly 75 mph and it went 142 miles on 3.8 gals. Now ALL this ridding was 'cruising', no 'PTT' ridding (play the throttle). I WAS surprised at the F-trip coming on so soon. If a 'grandma' was ridding it, it 'might' get 190 miles on a tank, but I doubt it!

Back