How many miles did you get this season.

:wow: That seems extraordinarily low. What kind of tires are you using? Are you making some a trade-off in longevity for some other benefit?

Also, are you buying tires in bulk?
I have used and kept records of more than 30 different tires over the last 8 years. 3,000 miles is the average.
A couple of tires have lasted as long as 7,000 miles but sacrifice traction and I ride for fun. Others have been done in as little as 1,000 miles. (PP race soft)
even sport touring tires are usualy smooth on the sides after ony 3,000 miles so I generaly stick with sport rubber for more even tire wear and better grip.
My standard by which I judge other tires is the Pilot Power and depending on how I ride they generaly last me 2,500-3,500 miles before all tread is gone. I've known people who get 2-3 times the tire life I do but they are generaly spending most of their time comuting and are much slower in the canyons. I spent the majority of my time on this bike with knee pucks and toe sliders kissing pavement. I am also a pretty large guy at 240 lbs without gear. The combination of heavy weaight and high cornering loads is most likely the problem.

I usualy stock up during the winter when tires go on sale. 8-9 sets would usualy get me through the year.

Last edited:
Stretch, that's really amazing in so many ways. Why don't you just do track riding with a proper track bike? It's got to be cheaper and safer!

stretch, maybe you got the wrong bike for that kind of riding :D

I felt like I had finaly found the perfect bike for the kind of riding I did.

It handdled well enough for knee down fun, and was comfortable enough to do it all day. My average Sunday consisted of 4-600 miles of twisty mountain roads. For a true sport tourer I don't think there is a better choice. I'll probably regret selling it and buy another one some day. But for now I'm getting out of street riding all together.

Stretch, that's really amazing in so many ways. Why don't you just do track riding with a proper track bike? It's got to be cheaper and safer!

I actualy don't enjoy track style riding as much. I have no interest in high speeds and generaly only pinned the throottle when passing. I ride in a tall gear and usualy 60mph or slower, I just cary a good bit of speed through the corners. I like that feeling of defying gravity, and dragging knees is sort of zen like for me. That Zen like feeling was what I was after. not a cometitive adreniline rush. I never felt like I was riding at a dangerous speed and often times didn't even exceed the posted speed limit (much) As my corner speed increased over the years so did my brain for lack of a better term. Things stopped seeming like they were happening quickly and a 50mph hair pin started feeling comfortable and sometimes almost boring. It's hard to explain sort of like the way time slows down during an accident, only without the fear.

Last edited:
For a comfortable mountain bike maybe you should have got a 600-750 cc.

I have also virtually stopped commuting and my bike will be only wearing sport rubber from now on. Q2s will be going on next and most of the unnecessary mods will be gone.

And hell lot of fun. FZ1 is a versatile bike but it is the "Jack of all Trades but Master of None". I don't want to sell it but I am not really using it for all of it's meant purposes. I just do canyon riding these days and the handling and flickability of a lighter bike is being sorely missed!

Every bike is a comprimise and while the Gen 1 may not be the perfect bike for you, it was for me for many years. Ive owned many bikes both larger and smaller from 250cc-1300cc and during the time I owned this bike I never wished for a larger or smaller bike. I'm sure Y'all are just trying to be helpful bt I am a bit bewildered that fellow riders would tell me I had the wrong bike, never mind members of a forum celebrating this bike. Perhaps I have given the impression that I am an inexperienced rider. I have put more than 300,000 miles on my own bikes. I have also ridden several generations of R6, R1, and GSXR, both generations of Bussa and ZX14, gold wings, cruisers, FJR, even the occasional Ducati. I have not found a street bike that I prefer. Sure the sport bikes were fun for a short ride but I wouldn't want to do a 600 mile day on one, (herniated vertebre) and the goldwings were comfy, but I was dragging hard parts before I left the neighborhood.

I never had any problems with handling or flickability of the FZ1
0002.jpg

and I took it everywhere and did everything with it
tt.jpg

oldmill.jpg

26.jpg

Last edited:
I'm not telling you anything, I was just having a discussion on this discussion forum in the general discussion section

I'm glad you like your bike so much & it's a shame you're not going to ride anymore

Sory if I came across a bit defensive. I guess I was just suprised. I think I'm done with street riding after this year, but I'm looking into a dual sport drobably a DRZ400 or XR650 so I'm not quiting the hobby all together just yet.

that picture of you dragging a knee with cases on is epic. That's what the fz1 is ment for dont get rid of it!! I think the bikes perfect for your application. There is no way I could handle knee dragging a 600 for a little then doing a some more touring for 600 miles in a day my knees would feel like they would explode. I'm only 20 years old to lol.

my point was that you could have a lot more fun a 600-800cc in the mountains without trying to compensate a heavier, lesser handling bike's shortcomings

Without a doubt a 600 would be way more fun. Sometimes you have to sacrifice performance for ergos. All I can say is he flat uses his fz1 to its full potential lol. My posts bring up a lot interesting conversations. I couldn't imagine giving up street riding all together though. Buying cheap 600 for an occasional rip along with the dirtbike would be a sweet option. Did I miss the reason he was leaving street riding behind??

Back