How many Grandpa's

I've been watching the posts on this forum since I joined and I think that the majority of the members here seem to be a bit more adult/mature in their posting subjects and replies. I have been a member of at least one where the maority of the posts could easily have been writen by a twelve year old, especially where spelling and grammar were concerned. I know we all mispell from time to time but when it becomes a chore to sort out the difference between to, too, and two, it makes a person wonder how people pass the driving test.

Anyway, what kind of age spread do we have here? I'm probably on the high side at 58, but I know quite a few riders, even of sport bikes that are in their mid 60's and a couple are ex professional racers. I'm just curious about how many older riders are interested in sport bikes. So many riders, even younger ones, are getting wrapped up in the cruiser thing.

Thats great. I don't feel so alone anymore. Just turned 47 back in December. I never gave any thought to being in the upper 40 range being that I am so immature. I still think I am 25. Good for the brain and bad for the body. Believe it or not, I got rid of my cruiser because my old tired back couldn't handle the forward controls anymore. The FZ1 is a perfect bike for me. I simply love it and with age comes wisdom so I know when to turn the throttle and when not to. It is probably one of the top two bikes I've ever owned.

Well, I'm 35 and my '01 FZ is my first bike that I've owned. I'm just beginning to "test" the limits after 8 months of ownership (and I don't plan on setting any land speed records).

I do enough crazy things off the road (mountain biking/downhill) to keep myself in check when riding the FZ on the streets. So off the streets, I'm a Hooligan :), on the FZ, I'm the "Grandpa" driving the old Cadillac going the speed limit.

As for being a Grandpa, well, I hopefully have another 25-30 years (although it might be tough in this day and age) before that happens (Brody - 3 / Hayden -2)

BroHay

Well, I'm 35 and my '01 FZ is my first bike that I've owned. I'm just beginning to \"test\" the limits after 8 months of ownership (and I don't plan on setting any land speed records).

I do enough crazy things off the road (mountain biking/downhill) to keep myself in check when riding the FZ on the streets. So off the streets, I'm a Hooligan :), on the FZ, I'm the \"Grandpa\" driving the old Cadillac going the speed limit.

As for being a Grandpa, well, I hopefully have another 25-30 years (although it might be tough in this day and age) before that happens (Brody - 3 / Hayden -2)

BroHay

I see how ya got the BroHay now bud. Boy, I can't remember when I was 35 years old. I wish I could go back just a few years. I probably would have taken better care of my body back then if I knew it was gonna be like this. Spent too much time acting like the strongman, still messing around playing football with guys 15 years younger than me, plus other knucklehead things we used to do. I am certainly feeling the effects now, thats for sure. I tell my son to work out his brain so he won't have to be doing back breaking work for a living.

I have been a member of at least one where the maority of the posts could easily have been writen by a twelve year old, especially where spelling and grammar were concerned.

As One who's English is a second language I do have more difficulties in expressing myself as well as spelling.
As this is an international site, things like that are common especially if the owner of the site tend it to be globally.

Speaking of myself only. thanks
FZ1IL

Well, I'm 35 and my '01 FZ is my first bike that I've owned. I'm just beginning to \"test\" the limits after 8 months of ownership (and I don't plan on setting any land speed records). [COLOR=\"Red\"]same here[/COLOR]

I do enough crazy things off the road (mountain biking/downhill) [COLOR=\"red\"]same here[/COLOR] to keep myself in check when riding the FZ on the streets. So off the streets, I'm a Hooligan :), on the FZ, I'm the \"Grandpa\" driving the old Cadillac going the speed limit. [COLOR=\"red\"]Please, Than you can reed of the whole garebox except the first[/COLOR]

BroHay

Please see comments above ;)

Not old Vintage, boys!

;)
Damn it 45 is not OLD! Christ on a crotchrocket, I still got a lot of riding left in me, Baja Paris- Dakar ( with my full complement of armament, of course), one of the Iron butts, hell I still love a 200 mile cruise from the burbs of chicago to the bluffs of the Mighty Mississippi. I've got 4 bikes for a reason, to ride!!!!! Different types of riding are what keep me young, different sights, different environments, different conditions. I hate riding in the rain, but I love watching a storm blow in from the west and gambling on how much ride time I got until the rain hits. How many detours can I take, how many little towns can I pass through ( those are the best places to find great deals on used bikes and cars, and chainsaws, and dogs, and......) . I am not a religious person, spiritual yes, but pay to pray, no way. And I get up everyday and think of how I can get away with riding into work, or not going to work at all and calling up a friend for a ride. I will ride as long as physically possible, and then the old lady can drive and I'll ride sidecar.

Hell, did I add Isle of Mann, what true rider doesn't want to at least see the course, if not get the chance to ride the devils trail? I wonder what a Ducati or MV Agusta rental costs during the race week? :innocent:

Well I'm 42, some days feels like 62- others 32. I enjoy a long ride with sweeping curves the best, but also like a few tight ones thrown in to keep it interesting. I rode with a gentleman this past Oct who was 82 years old. He rode a Goldwing the 400 miles to Deals Gap, ran with us (30 to 60yr olds) for 4 days and rode home by himself. Hope I'm able to do that at his age. :cool:

Enjoy and ride safe....Chip

I will be 48 this year, I have a daughter in college and another one that will be heading out in a little over a year...holy crap the time has gone by fast! I am an ex-racer and love to do track days... and I still piss off the younger riders that think they are fast. You are only as old as you ride! The following picture was from a track day last May.

AF1B.jpg

I will be 48 this year, I have a daughter in college and another one that will be heading out in a little over a year...holy crap the time has gone by fast! I am an ex-racer and love to do track days... and I still piss off the younger riders that think they are fast. You are only as old as you ride! The following picture was from a track day last May.

AF1B.jpg

Beautifully said Spondon. You truly are only as old as you feel. I remember back when I was a youngster, a guy that was 45 years old was considered "over the hill". I am 47 and I truly still act as if I were 25 years old. I have really never grown up mentally. And now that I've gotten my main artery cleaned out after the heart attack, watch out!! Now I am feeling 15 years younger physically as well as mentally.

Beautifully said Spondon. You truly are only as old as you feel. I remember back when I was a youngster, a guy that was 45 years old was considered \"over the hill\". I am 47 and I truly still act as if I were 25 years old. I have really never grown up mentally. And now that I've gotten my main artery cleaned out after the heart attack, watch out!! Now I am feeling 15 years younger physically as well as mentally.

I am going to see my doctor soon... I worry about any issues with my heath too.

Well said all. I'm 48, going on 49 in the summer and still ride as if I was 17 years old! Well, maybe with a little more care from all the years of being carved up by drivers that can't see bikes. I love my Fazer and I love just being on the road.

Long may we all enjoy our respective rides!!

Morph

I am 49 and just got my FZ1. Can't stand the cruisers. I will be riding this or a sport touring bike for a while.
As far as crazy stuff, not me. I was an MSF Chief Instructor in another life. When I was in Maryland getting my cert I saw three motorcycle wrecks in one night. One of them was our instructor from MSF. Got to the hospital and all three groups/patients were there.
I have a wife and 9 yr old. Can't afford to be crazy. Besides I ride in S. Florida, there is enough craziness out there on the roads without me doing it.
So far I really like the site because as you stated at the beginning of this discussion everone seems to be more mature and enjoy riding for the sake of riding and not being idiots on 2 wheels.
Any guys get down this way lets take a run.

I'll be 45 this spring.

My riding has'nt changed since my 1983 yamaha xv920. Riding at anytime, any day, commuting to and from work, rain or shine and as cold in the morning to freeze still water. I also rode a 1086 ninja 900 for many years and took a break for about ten years.

I bought a new 2008 fz1 in july and I still have that urge to ride all the time and I'll be doing so for many more years hopefully..

Too old to Ride FZ1?

I just turned 62, but when I get on my FZ1, I feel like a teenager. Love to run hard and fast, sometimes more than I should. (Don't tell my wife). Came from a Bandit to the FZ1 and am now looking for more horsepower, can never have to much. Any way to get these machines to put it out like an R1? I'd buy an R1 but I don't like the riding stance, too bent over. The FZ1 just feels right.

Anyone know how to get the front wheel off these machines? Looks like a huge allen wrench is needed.

Back