How long do you ride?

JMundy

Winter is here for most of us, and im curious how far into the fall/winter do you ride? I normally would have ended by the end of September (when temps drop below 50F) but im pushing myself to go hopefully until the snow hits. Mornings have been about 36F so far and ive been good with my jacket, liners and a hoodie underneath as its cold in the office I work in.

So when do you call it quits?

I'll ride unless the road is unsafe for it (snow, ice, sleet, etc.). I've been able to ride my FZ1 every month of the year since I bought it. Last year I invested in a heated jacket liner (Powerlet) and have found that I'm comfortable down into the 20's (F) if I turn it and my heated grips on. Outerwear is heated liner, rain/wind layer, and mesh jacket. I keep meaning to get a leather jacket, but find other stuff to spend my money on.

I ride until the morning temperature drops below -5*c. This Monday the forecast calls for a low of -11 and a high of -1, preceded by a Sunday night of rain and snow, so for safety sake I'll take 4 wheels on Monday. I may be hard core but not fool hardy.

Did oil change last weekend but since have not taken bike out once this week.....looks like done with snow and flurries all week and lows of -8C next week.
Time to focus on the sled.

I ride as long as the roadway isn't icy or snowy. November-January can be dicey although we usually get some dry unfreezing time in those months. I have decent warm/waterproof gear that includes heated, battery-operated jacket and gloves.

I ride year-round. If there's snow on the ground, I won't ride. I also don't enjoy freezing my ass off so I sort of just turn winter into 'essential services only' time.

Now that I have a scooter for around town and snow days, I'll probably take my bike out a lot less. Especially once they start salting. Ick

For the last 10 seasons, here in the Midwest, I've managed to ride through Thanksgiving weekend. That said, it turned quite cold here a week ago, way too cold for mid-October. My fingers are crossed that we'll get a few more nice Indian Summer riding days.

1st of October signals the end of my riding season. If I have a day off I'll be hunting and I can't carry two dogs and a shotgun on the FZ.

< - San Diego Checking in.

I ride as long as it is not raining. The coldest days here are the low 40's, and that is rare.

though I do not have any true winter riding gear, just some thin glove liners, an extra t-shirt under my jacket and away I go, so when it is cold out, I am pretty cold. But splitting lanes and not sitting in traffic warms my soul to where it does not matter. :woot:

When they mention black-ice or when it snows... then she's bedded for the winter. It's been getting very cold here in the last couple days. But, great gear and heated grips go a long way.

I am finishing riding this week, it is my final MSF class for the year and it has been so cold here in Central IL. I will start cleaning and winterizing my bike next week.

There are only about 2-3 days a year that get to cold for me to ride in Houston. I don't even have a clue what it means to put your bike up for winter. ;)

When the high temp for the day is below 45 im done. My season Usually runs from mid April to mid October here in central IL. I too am hoping for an Indian summer for one last ride. I don't "winterize" my bike though, just in case its needed as a last resort mode of transportation. I also try to bring in the new year with a short and BRISK ride on January 1st, if the roads are clear.

Sadly, I work 12 hour days, but it's usually 13-14 hours and then 30min drive 1 way. That leaves little time to ride and my times riding to and from work are the coldest times of the day. When I have time off, we tend to have family things planned which leaves little time for riding. I may take another ride or 2, but I feel like my riding season is pretty much over until late April :(

Such a sad time. I hate putting the bike away for 5-6 months! :tdown:

I ride all year round.

There's no snow here in Sydney and Winter is fairly mild (day time average of around 63 degrees Fahrenheit), so no problems riding all year round here.

I don't know what I would do with myself if I had to lay the bike up for months at a time.

Last edited:
Back