How Far Can You GO?

I've never bothered to track exact fuel mileage on my 2012, but I know for a fact that strictly commuting to work and back home for a week cost me more money in fuel on my FZ1 than in my 2000 1.6L SOHC Honda Civic coupe. Of course, if I rode the Fizzer like I drove the Civic I might see better returns :) It really seems to eat fuel when the tach climbs over 8k RPM, and I can't resist shifting all the way down to second gear when I'm setting up for passing cars on the bike.

The second gen FZ1 seems to average 32-36 MPG (13.5-15 km/L). The 'reserve'/fuel light comes on with 1 gallon (3.8 litres) left and that means 50-60 km before you're walking

The only way you'll know for sure is if you keep track of your own fuel mileage. Everybody will get a different average. I have seen some people with second gen FZ1s average below 30 MPG and some people much higher

I'm one of those people that averages right around 30-31. When I first had the bike I was averaging 28. I switched oil, did a throttle body sync, changed to iridium plugs, changed coolant, ran 2 cans of Sea Foam and after all that I'm getting around 31-32 in the city and 35-37 on highway (still spirited).

My service manual says that I have a 18.0 L (4.76 US gal) fuel tank and reserve of 3.4 L (0.90 US Gal). Typically my light kicks on around 115-130 miles and I fill around 3.5-3.7 gallons. I think the most I've ever filled it up was 3.85 and that was with 10 miles on the fuel trip measure.

I always plan my rides for 100 mile stops. If I'm going to be around 110-120 I start getting nervous.

Here is a thread on my exploration of fuel consumption with the Fz1
http://www.998cc.org/forum/gen-ii-garage-tech-help/16990-how-improve-mpg-my-2009-a.html

2010 fz1

I have two brothers m2 I crank it up some speed limit 65 lucky to get 150 most tanks

If you push da beast ya gotta feed her

:spank2::banghead:

be3esyny.jpg
My personal best for a gen 1.

OK I cheated. On this ride I was way up in the Tahoe mountains and the light came on at about 170. I was so nervous I coasted down either in neutral or with the motor completely off for almost the rest of that.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Back