How does ECU Flash effect MPGs?

a7x3797

I plan to get 'Ivanized' this winter and the only question I cant find an answer for among the threads is the effect of Fuel Economy. I am currently seeing 28 MPG, though corrected for sprocket size, its more like 26... this isn't a huge deal for me, if I wanted high MPGs id buy a Ninja 300, i'm just curious. So for all of you who have been flashed out there, what are your 'before and after' MPGs?

that's absolutely horrible. you should really put that on a dyno and see what your air fuel ratio is cuz my guess is horrific. mine was bad at 35-38mpg before the 2wdw flash, after the flash i get 38-42. others are reporting higher 40's and one fella is cracking 50 on a bone stock bike

My moto is, if I can't see fuel spitting out of the tail pipe, I need it richer! :justkidding:, but seriously, no sense in dyno before I get flashed, I don't have money to throw off a cliff. I had a few issues with lean-ness (if that's a word) at various rpms causing bogging so I increased fuel across the board basically. Im running very rich but it should sort itself out with Flash/New Map

that's absolutely horrible. you should really put that on a dyno and see what your air fuel ratio is cuz my guess is horrific. mine was bad at 35-38mpg before the 2wdw flash, after the flash i get 38-42. others are reporting higher 40's and one fella is cracking 50 on a bone stock bike

I have never heard of a Gen II Fz1 seeing over low/mid 40's MPG. From my last discussion of this, the general consensus was between 28 and 35 or so where everyone was landing. Also you have to remember that I ride mainly all city and this is my toy not my transportation, so I am usually mixing WOT with hard braking and visa-verse and I like the way the bike reacts over 5-6K.

I was getting an average of 30 with the 2009. Will have to see how the 2013 does with the flashed ECU. It's totally bad right now during break-in anyway. I'll start calculating when I'm over 1k miles.

Those numbers are skewed unless you have the ODO corrected with a healer or SpeedoDRD. Subtract about 7% off at a minimum. 38 mpg uncorrected is actually about 35 mpg.

Well, I'm curious just how far "off" the speedos are on the GenII. When Tony and I went on our ride last weekend we were talking at our first stop and he had said how he wished he had picked up the pace a little and I told him, "Are you nuts?! We were averaging 70-75 mph all the way up!" He said that he had never really passed 70mph! Now I know I was watching my speedo and it was clearly above 70 the whole portion of the ride. He has a Speedo Healer and I'm stock with stock gearing. I guess I'll have to mount the GPS the next long ride to find out for sure.

Well, I'm curious just how far "off" the speedos are on the GenII. When Tony and I went on our ride last weekend we were talking at our first stop and he had said how he wished he had picked up the pace a little and I told him, "Are you nuts?! We were averaging 70-75 mph all the way up!" He said that he had never really passed 70mph! Now I know I was watching my speedo and it was clearly above 70 the whole portion of the ride. He has a Speedo Healer and I'm stock with stock gearing. I guess I'll have to mount the GPS the next long ride to find out for sure.

From my knowledge, the speedo and odometer are calibrated separate, from my calculations from speedo healer... My speedo was off like 14% and odometer was off like 6-7%. Apparently according to their site, when correcting your speed, it's one or the other, you can never have a perfect speedo and odo
Feel free to challenge me so I have to find a citation ;)

Billy, on the 2009, I had my healer set for -5.4%, stock gearing and a 55R on the rear and it was dead-on with the GPS for speed and a measure mile. Michele runs all stock and no healer. After I registered 120.1 miles on Trip A, she'd logged 130.9 on her Trip A. We both drove the same roads after filling up at the same time and stopping to fill up again at the same place.

What troubles me is that the bike, in stock form, logs more miles that it actually covers. Take these times 100 and you have a bike that covered 12,000 miles but says it has 13k on the clock!

I have never heard of a Gen II Fz1 seeing over low/mid 40's MPG. From my last discussion of this, the general consensus was between 28 and 35 or so where everyone was landing. Also you have to remember that I ride mainly all city and this is my toy not my transportation, so I am usually mixing WOT with hard braking and visa-verse and I like the way the bike reacts over 5-6K.

Anyone who says they are getting 50 mpg on a Gen II is either lying or their odometers are out by miles.

I could ride the bike down hill for 300 klms and never see those figures lol

I average 30.5 US MPG with a corrected speedo, that's a combination of highway and twisties.

Maybe your odometer is out by miles. You corrected your speedo which automatically puts the odometer out

Mine is quite accurate when I recently checked with the highway odometer checking signs that go for 5 klms here in Australia. I wish mine was out by miles but it just chuggs petrol.

So you have seen 50 US MPG on your FZ1?

From Healtech's website:

" Will the SH calibrate both my speedo and odometer?
Yes, but it is not possible to calibrate them separately, as one speed signal drives both the speedometer and the odometer.
On most bikes, if the speedo is calibrated to be 100% accurate, the odo will register slightly less miles. While this can be annoying in certain situations, one can always calculate the real distance easily after a long trip.
Alternatively, of course, you can get the factory default indications regardless of the used gearing: accurate odometer and slightly optimistic speedo."

I don't calibrate for factory error as I like a little up my sleeve.

Basic Stats

According to Fuelly, my stock bike is getting the following US fuel consumption. I reckon I could do better if I tried, especially if the bike didn't run quite so rich and extra especially on highway mpg but it wouldn't be as much fun.

37.2 (-0.1)
Avg MPG

33.5 (-8.9)
Last MPG

45.8 (6/6/14)
Best MPG

My speedo read high but the odometer is pretty accurate when compared to my SatNav.

John, you obviously use a lot more revs than I do. In part that would be the different sprockets but I guess I like to cruise in thhe higher gears more.

Basic Stats

According to Fuelly, my stock bike is getting the following US fuel consumption. I reckon I could do better if I tried, especially if the bike didn't run quite so rich and extra especially on highway mpg but it wouldn't be as much fun.

37.2 (-0.1)
Avg MPG

33.5 (-8.9)
Last MPG

45.8 (6/6/14)
Best MPG

My speedo read high but the odometer is pretty accurate when compared to my SatNav.

John, you obviously use a lot more revs than I do. In part that would be the different sprockets but I guess I like to cruise in thhe higher gears more.

The gearing definitely takes a toll on my mileage. M bike is also modded a hell of a lot more and I don't have fairings.

Even when it was stock it was worse on petrol than my old 2006 GSX-R1000 and that bike went way harder but was better on fuel, go figure?

Anyway getting back to the original posters question, in my experience I am using more fuel now with the flashed ECU.

Back