How do I remove this?

Speed4341

So i want to paint the piece that mounts to the top of the forks where the handle bar mounts. (I'm sorry, I'm still new to motorcycles and don't know what this part is called) During removal I ran into an issue with removing the ignition switch from this piece. The mounting bolts dont seem to have any heads on them. Also there is no electrical connector directly on the ignition switch. The wires run under the air box and i cant tell where they lead, so I can't even unplug the ignition switch and just tape it off for painting.

SO... How do I remove the ignition switch from this piece. Also, what is this part called? LOL

2012-03-18_17-34-49_230.jpg

2012-03-18_17-35-17_490.jpg

You have to drill off the security heads then take out the remaining bolt/studs with vise grips. You can then either put in normal bolts of buy a new set of security bolts to lock it in place.

You have to drill off the security heads then take out the remaining bolt/studs with vise grips. You can then either put in normal bolts of buy a new set of security bolts to lock it in place.

Easiest thing to do is use metric Allen bolts and some red Loctite (threadlocker). Not easily coming off and really if someone is going to steal the bike they'll just destroy the ignition lock. No one is going to bother checking to see if it can be removed...

Easiest thing to do is use metric Allen bolts and some red Loctite (threadlocker). Not easily coming off and really if someone is going to steal the bike they'll just destroy the ignition lock. No one is going to bother checking to see if it can be removed...

Yeah, ill just replace them with a non security style bolt

Back