How do I know? Gen I or Gen II

Please forgive me if this is a stupid post, but I have only had my 2006 FZ1 for a few days now, and after looking at the forum for about two hours now....I am confused. There is two generations of this bike? Or am I just an idiot?

As stated before, I have a 2006 FZ1, how would I know what generation bike mine would fall under??

Feel free to ridicule me if this is just the dumbest thing anyone has ever posted, but only after you educate me. Thank you!!

no stupid questions... ;)

I don't even own a FZ1 yet (yet....:shame: )

don't know which year they switched, but Gen I is Carbs, Gen II is FI.

Thanks Dart.

If I am correct in my assumption, they switched to FI in 2006. Thats why i am having a tough time finding a repair mamual. But Dave sent me one via email so thats a plus.

2006 YAMAHA FZ1 SPECIFICATIONS

Model:FZS10R; FZS10VS

Engine Type:998cc, liquid-cooled, 20-valve, DOHC,in-line four-cylinder

Bore x Stroke:77.0 x 53.6mm

Compression Ratio:11.5:1

Fuel Delivery:Fuel injection

Ignition:Digital TCI

Transmission:6-speed w/multi-plate clutch

Final Drive:O-ring chain

Suspension/Front:43mm telescopic fork w/adjustablepreload,compression and rebounddamping; 5.1" travel

Suspension/Rear:Single shock w/piggyback reservoir;adjustable preload and rebounddamping; 5.1" travel

Brakes/Front:Dual 320mm floating discsw/4-piston calipers

Brake/Rear:245mm disc w/single-piston caliper

Tires/Front:120/70-ZR17

Read more: 2006 Yamaha FZ1 Specs, Dyno & Wallpaper - Sport Rider Magazine

owing a 04 carb FZ1 not the fi deal...just what is this throttle snatch? is it a problem is throttling up or down? of a dreaded flat spot in trying to get-ey up? :wtf:

yeah, was directing it to dart, said he didn't have a fz1 yet. some people say they have the problem, some don't. haven't ever been on a 06 so couldn't tell you really how noticeable it is. Just saying if i was looking to buy one i would lean toward a newer model if i was wanting a 2nd gen.

I think he already has the 06.
Not everyone has the "Snatch Problem". I have talked to lot's of Gen 2 owners that say their throttle is smooth as butter!
If you think your throttle stinks - here is a thread where people discuss some options.

http://www.998cc.org/forum/gen-ii-mods/13316-06-throttle-snatch-issue.html

The throttle snatch is a problem on pretty much only the 06s (and some 07s I believe). Yamaha corrected the problem on the later models or at least made it better.

Thanks everyone!!

Now that I know I have a gen2 I know where to post questions to on the forum. Thank you everyone for the help.

Now I know I have only had my 2006 for a few days, and it only has 4090 miles on it I can say the Throttle is just as smooth as my 2002 gsxr. No issues so far but I will keep everyone posted.

Thank you!!

If you get on the throttle and the acceleration blows your pants off in a hurry, then it is a Gen2 but if you feel a mild puff of air that maybe just flicks your hair then it is a Gen1 :D

Hey now, I outrun two gen2's on my gen1. Don't bash gen1 like its a harley! (open harley bash thread now) ;evil

Back