how can I tell if bike is runing lean ?

Billythediablo

Ok, basically I did the secondary flies mod, remove the cat, installed a slip on exhaust and a K&N air filter, bike is running fine but I was told to check one of the spark plugs to make sure I'm not running it to lean, So the question is is there any other way to check to see if its running lean without pulling one of the spark plugs out ?

ya put it on the dyno...no matter what you respond with the answer is always going to remain, put it on the dyno. because the computer tells you exactly what AF you're running where. and a competent dyno tuner can fix it.

Remember that a stock FZ1 has three CATs and is mapped RICH from the factory and uses the CATs and AIS to clean up the exhaust.

Don't assume your bike is automatically lean, that is most often false, unless it's an HD (they run at an even stoich - 14.7).

On the FZ1 fuel map, the majority of cells REMOVE fuel. However some cells add 15 to 20 points of fuel. The point being, you can't make "global" changes to the fuel map. You need determine what the change needs to be per cell. That's about 200+ cells that each need a specific fuel trim. (nine throttle positions times 22 increments of 500 rpm).

The most accurate way to measure this is via a dyno with either a Wide Band O2 sensor, or a 4 Gas EGA. Ideally you want a tuner who uses "steady state" tuing vs. WFO tuning.

Or wait till your headers blue. jk

Seriously, are you gonna stop with those mods? Are you gonna go all the way and get the IVAN reflash? You need a PC to go with the reflash.

I disagree, respectfuly, with HELLGATE about "internet maps". There are some really good maps for free on this and the "other" site. I have tried a couple and found them to be different in nature, but definately worth trying. Its a map, its easy to change.

Have you read the reviews of the reflash? Not 1 person is unhappy with it. Everyone agrees that its worth the money.

Whens the last time that you read a thread where everyone agreed? :Rockon:

Back