Hot legs

I purchased my `05 this winter and noticed that my right leg was kept warmer than my left leg – not a problem, just warm. Now that the outside temp is rising it’s becoming uncomfortable. It seems that if the ambient temp exceeds about 85 the air blowing on my right leg becomes quite uncomfortable. I can’t imagine what it will be like in triple digits.

Is this simply a function of the heated coolant entering the right side of the radiator along with the heat radiating from the clutch basket?

The bike seems to be running at normal temps – no excessive fan ops at low speeds. Mods include: Holeshot jet kit & advance kit, K&N air filter, and slip-on pipe.

Your thoughts and experience would be most helpful.

Do you have any riding pants to try? They may shield the heat better than jeans and will certainly help in the event you have any off.

Not sure, maybe the coolant enters the radiator on the right side, so the air on that side of the the radiator might be a little hotter.

I purchased my `05 this winter and noticed that my right leg was kept warmer than my left leg – not a problem, just warm. Now that the outside temp is rising it’s becoming uncomfortable. It seems that if the ambient temp exceeds about 85 the air blowing on my right leg becomes quite uncomfortable. I can’t imagine what it will be like in triple digits.

Here in south Texas it is very hot most of the time. I found by removing the radiator trim pieces, that the airflow over my legs was much better. The engine seems to run about the same. I like the looks better also.

I've heard that it's due to the cast iron piece of the exhaust system where the four pipes come together. Once that sucker heats up, it makes it uncomfortable sometimes on the right leg especially. The aftermarket lower fairing worked out pretty well on the 2002 I have. It blocks most of the heat, and it also channels cool air from the front of the engine and blows it through a hole by your foot. Apparently, a full aftermarket exhaust system that eliminates that iron portion does wonders to the heat problem. Look on the bright side, that warm air feels good on a cooler night right?....

Reason number 1 as to why I wear Carharts at work, because I like to stick a lot of tools in my pockets. Reason number two, they are thicker and double paneled in the area where I get the most heat on my legs. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back