Home PowderCoat tool

Does anyone have experience with this Powder Coating tool? It cost $59 (on sale) and if it works,would more than pay for it self with one use.

10-30 PSI Powder Coating System - Paint - General Merch

PowderCoat.jpg

6 Review(s) ***** | Add Your Review
Customer Rating:.Description of Chicago Electric Power Tools 94244

Powder coating is tougher than conventional paint, easy to use and clean up, and covers better.

■80% transfer efficiency or better
■Uses any standard powder coat paint
Includes powder gun, foot switch, power source, inline filter and two powder cups. Requires 10-30 PSI air pressure
120V, 15 amps
1/4" air inlet
Shipping Weight: 9.16 lbs.

I do not have one but it would be nice to have. The only issue is an oven. You need one large enough to do the parts you coat. I wonder if the kitchen oven would take a wheel? :eek5: :D

I just searched YouTube and while there are a couple of vids showing that kind of system in action, they never show the completed piece! Wouldn't you think that it would be the important part of the video?! I was actually in Harbor Freight this morning and looked at that system. I was teetering on the fence but wound up picking up the Dual Temp Heat Gun instead.

I was looking at getting a powder-coating gun from Sears not too long ago... however, I waited it out... read some reviews.. and generally, consumers were not pleased with it....

as far as the oven... I had that figured out... all you need to do is go to you local Habitat for Humanity store ... they're called "ReStore" in most places... you can pick up a old kitchen oven there most of the time for less than $50... then, a 240V drop in the garage... and you're good to go.... a regular sized oven IS big enough for a 17" wheel... I measured the inside of my Kenmore Oven, and it's about 24" deep by 21.5" wide... it'd be the easiest thing in the world to do... as you need a metal rack to hang parts on while spraying...and the metal rack is grounded while you spray positively charged particles at it... then, once it's sprayed, you let it sit for a little bit, and pull the whole rack off the wall... with parts still attached and slide the whole thing into your preheated oven....

sure.. larger ovens are used in commercial applications for powdercoating, but for most of our home use, we won't be doing too many thing bigger than the capacity of you standard oven... plus, heating a smaller oven is a lot cheaper than heating a full sized powdercoating oven...

Good stuff Aaron! Thanks! I just also read that people should have a cooking thermometer that registers high temps to be sure you're baking the powder at the correct temps.

And I just put a 240V in the garage last year. ;)

Here ya go Eric....

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Taylor-1471-Digital-Thermometer-Timer/dp/tech-data/B000I4SXA2]Amazon.com: Taylor #1471 Digital Thermometer and Timer: Kitchen & Dining[/ame]

That's not a bad kit for basic powder coating. Just don't expect professional results with it. Another nice option is this kit from Eastwood. As others have mentioned a used electric oven is the way to go. Just make sure you install a temperature gauge to make sure you're baking the powder at the right temp. And I will just add that powder coating is just like regular painting in the sense that to achieve good results you have to prep the parts properly. That usually means stripping them with some sort of blasting media and making sure they are free of any oils.

Good stuff Aaron! Thanks! I just also read that people should have a cooking thermometer that registers high temps to be sure you're baking the powder at the correct temps.

And I just put a 240V in the garage last year. ;)

Home ovens are notoriously inaccurate so it's worthwhile to have one if you plan on doing 'accurate' baking with it (in the kitchen or the garage)

414BPINWd1L.jpg

I bought mine for ~$10 at the local big-box supermarket

Our company has been doing powder coating for years. Besides the cost of the applicator and oven and quality temperature gauge, you have the powder itself. You usually have to buy a 10-25lb box of your specified color. Which is enough to do your frame, your kids bicycle frame, the neighbor kids bicycle frame, the lawn mower and the rest will be overspray on the wife’s car and your clothes. If all you plan to do are one or two colors this could be a cheap investment. If you plan to do a lot of different colors the powder can get real expensive real quick. Most manufactures offer a sample box of 1-5lbs but if you are not a legitimate business with sales opportunity for the manufacturer, you might have to send your wife over to pick up your box sample powder. :flash:

Our company has been doing powder coating for years. Besides the cost of the applicator and oven and quality temperature gauge, you have the powder itself. You usually have to buy a 10-25lb box of your specified color. Which is enough to do your frame, your kids bicycle frame, the neighbor kids bicycle frame, the lawn mower and the rest will be overspray on the wife’s car and your clothes. If all you plan to do are one or two colors this could be a cheap investment. If you plan to do a lot of different colors the powder can get real expensive real quick. Most manufactures offer a sample box of 1-5lbs but if you are not a legitimate business with sales opportunity for the manufacturer, you might have to send your wife over to pick up your box sample powder. :flash:

Check out the link. Below the Powder Coat tool, they advertise 16 oz of powder for $4.99 ea. Multiple colors available.

powder coat

hi all i have one of those diy kits and its rubish you cant controll the flow very well so to much powder or not enough the static charge aint stong so you have to put the clamp on part being painted so that leaves a mark.
i do this for a living guys my kit cost me £4000 for gun and you can drive a car in my oven so i got a good idea. the diy kits are ok for small parts that cant be noticed also i find the cheaper powders aint that nice finish i have about 200 differant colours all the RAL ones.
ps have now put my diy kit in bin

Back