Home Made Rear Cowl

PrivateAxis

I had some leftover material from my last couple of fiberglass projects, including my "R-None" transformation (pictured in avatar), so I wanted to see how quickly I could create a fiberglass rear cowl for my Gen II. Completed it in about six hours of total work. No, it ain't too pretty, but it will look a lot better once I get it properly painted -- whenever that will be.

I wish I had done this photo compilation with the R1 project because that was a much more involved and interesting project to share, so in a few ways, this cowl project was just an experiment. And, technically, cost me nothing.

By the way, that intentionally "distressed" primer job and homemade stencil is of my Aces M.A.D. (Mayhem Averted Decals) sticker project you can check out at AcesMAD.com (the linked Facebook page is a bit more interesting than the website).

Looks pretty good to me! How will you attach it to the bike?
The black plastic thing in the second photo of the first panel is the baseplate from the stock rear seat (with foam and cover removed). I sculpted the clay model directly over that, then after I took the cast, I cleaned the clay from the baseplate and attached it to the final fiberglass piece I made, so it snaps into and locks onto the bike exactly as if it were still the rear seat.

Last edited:
Print it from a 3D drawing ? In plastic.

Brother, you're speaking Greek to me; you mean recreate it using a 3D printer, then have the final piece in plastic instead of fiberglass? I only needed one and I made this from discarded, unused fiberglass material, so it cost me nothing, money and time-wise.

Very cool project! Do you think you can hinge it and put a lock on it to carry items inside? Or is this just for appearance?

Sub'd for the painted end result! :tup:

The black plastic thing in the second photo of the first panel is the baseplate from the stock rear seat (with foam and cover removed). I sculpted the clay model directly over that, then after I took the cast, I cleaned the clay from the baseplate and attached it to the final fiberglass piece I made, so it snaps into and locks onto the bike exactly as if it were still the read seat.

Looks good and you can't beat that method of attachment :tup:

Very cool project! Do you think you can hinge it and put a lock on it to carry items inside? Or is this just for appearance?

Sub'd for the painted end result! :tup:

Just appearance, though an interesting idea. Still, too complicated for the purposes of this fast & easy mod experiment; besides, there would be little room between the baseplate and the fiberglass shell to carry much more than a spare pair of gloves. That, and I prefer the ease (and security) of just using a backpack or tank bag for the stuff I carry. After three decades of riding and having bikes--and things on my bikes stolen (locked-on helmets)--I don't like leaving anything on (or in) my bike if it doesn't have to be there. BTW: the tool kit is still located in its standard, under-pillion place, too.

Just appearance, though an interesting idea. Still, too complicated for the purposes of this fast & easy mod experiment; besides, there would be little room between the baseplate and the fiberglass shell to carry much more than a spare pair of gloves. That, and I prefer the ease (and security) of just using a backpack or tank bag for the stuff I carry. After three decades of riding and having bikes--and things on my bikes stolen (locked-on helmets)--I don't like leaving anything on (or in) my bike if it doesn't have to be there. BTW: the tool kit is still located in its standard, under-pillion place, too.

I find it sort of sad that theft like this happens. Up here in NH and Maine, we're used to parking, taking off all the gear, piling it UNLOCKED on top of all out full bags on the bike and walking away. No one touches the stuff. I typically walk away with only my key. I've left my GPS on it too.

Seems like I'm going to have to start being disciplined about removing it all for when I move out of here!!!

I was thinking you could velcro some items inside there... mag light, zip ties, tire repair kit... you might find more space than you think. I have the CD Strike cowl which has nothing between the top and the tray on the bike so I pack it full. I'm always trying to fit one more thing in there. And I still always have the tank bag with me. ;)

Regardless, I think it is an awesome project and you can appreciate it a lot more when it is your own sweat and blood. I have a spare seat pan... I may have to try this myself... and mod the seat pan. I'd likely mold in the hinge and cut the profile afterward. Then find a lock to mount . . . Make it sort of like the Corbin Smuggler trunk I guess? ;)

I find it sort of sad that theft like this happens. Up here in NH and Maine, we're used to parking, taking off all the gear, piling it UNLOCKED on top of all out full bags on the bike and walking away. No one touches the stuff. I typically walk away with only my key. I've left my GPS on it too.
Wow. Just a really big WOW to that. Leave anything of value unattended on a bike here in LA, and it is gone.

I was thinking you could velcro some items inside there... mag light, zip ties, tire repair kit...
The baseplate and fiberglass piece are permanently connected, and beyond the paint, I just don't want to mess with this thing anymore.

Regardless, I think it is an awesome project and you can appreciate it a lot more when it is your own sweat and blood. I have a spare seat pan... I may have to try this myself... and mod the seat pan. I'd likely mold in the hinge and cut the profile afterward. Then find a lock to mount . . .
Thanks, and you are right about having a greater sense of appreciation when building these things yourself--instead of just buying mass-produced, bolt-on pieces that thousands of others have bought. But it is so time-consuming. Still, for that one-of-a-kind reason alone, I regret ever selling the R1 -- the closest thing to a bike-build masterpiece as I'll ever come to creating, and something I'll never be insane enough to try and do again.

But it is so time-consuming. Still, for that one-of-a-kind reason alone, I regret ever selling the R1 -- the closest thing to a bike-build masterpiece as I'll ever come to creating, and something I'll never be insane enough to try and do again.

You've peaked my interest now. You gotta post a shot of the R1 your talking about!:sport12:

I hope that PrivateAxis doesn't mind, but I recall him posting pictures of his R1 in the FZ6R forum. Here they are:

R11.jpg

IMG_1538_1.jpg

IMG_1552.jpg

Does it have any purpose than looks?
Not a one. When I removed the rear pegs to install a simple exhaust hanger, the rear seat seemed completely out of place; hence, the rear cowl project -- just wanted to knock something out as quickly as possible. Again, it only looks rough because of my playing around with that distressed look and graffiti/spray-paint logo stencil. Once it's properly painted with OEM silver, it will look like it belongs on the bike.

Back