Home made Hamburgers for dinner...

Hi Scotty,

I have a question for you about the beetroot that folks down under put on hamburgers. Are the beets pickled, plain cooked, or raw? I have never considered putting beet on a hamburger before and the idea is intriguing. I do the cooking in our household and my wife loves beets. Please advise.

Hi Scotty,

I have a question for you about the beetroot that folks down under put on hamburgers. Are the beets pickled, plain cooked, or raw? I have never considered putting beet on a hamburger before and the idea is intriguing. I do the cooking in our household and my wife loves beets. Please advise.

Hi there Giles, I haven't really taken much notice before but I think it's just raw. Their sliced in a tin can and I don't have any here right now, but I'll get back to you on that one (I'm intrigued now).
It's 6am here and I've just got home from a night shift and I now want a hamburger!!! Damn appetite :)

Hi there Giles, I haven't really taken much notice before but I think it's just raw. Their sliced in a tin can and I don't have any here right now, but I'll get back to you on that one (I'm intrigued now).
It's 6am here and I've just got home from a night shift and I now want a hamburger!!! Damn appetite :)

Many thanks for your reply. Beetroot in a tin (can) is typically pickled here in the states. They are also sold raw as pulled from the ground in the produce sections of grocery stores. Americans are quite fond of pickled cucumbers (called pickles) on hamburgers. However, in 50 years of eating hamburgers here in the US I have never seen a beet (in any form) on a hamburger. As some of the prior posts to your thread show, we Americans are prone to a bit of "excess." I wonder what grilled beet would taste like on a hamburger? As soon as the snow has melted off my grill I may give it a try. Hope you get a well deserved rest.

Many thanks for your reply. Beetroot in a tin (can) is typically pickled here in the states. They are also sold raw as pulled from the ground in the produce sections of grocery stores. Americans are quite fond of pickled cucumbers (called pickles) on hamburgers. However, in 50 years of eating hamburgers here in the US I have never seen a beet (in any form) on a hamburger. As some of the prior posts to your thread show, we Americans are prone to a bit of "excess." I wonder what grilled beet would taste like on a hamburger? As soon as the snow has melted off my grill I may give it a try. Hope you get a well deserved rest.

Too easy! Here in Oz their not pickled, and it goes on the hamburger as raw beetroot too. Here's a link to the australian product, hope this helps if you want it aussie style :D
Sliced Beetroot / Vegetables / Products / Golden Circle - Made Under The Sun

Bookmarked those recipes. I will post my spouse's reaction to this "new to us" version of the hamburger when the weather warms up a bit (grill is outside). Again, many thanks!

We have canned, un-pickled beets here also, exactly as you show but from different brands. I like 'em. The better quality come in glass jars as opposed to cans (tins). It's a like or hate thing. I'd say 1 in 10 people I know would say they like beets. My brother says they taste like dirt. We get 'em krinkle-cut and pickled - put 'em on salads. Or at least I do, my wife can't stand them. My FZ1 is cool. Here's some beets.
http://www.shopwell.com/del-monte-beets-pickled-crinkle-cut-specialties/canned-beans-vegetables/p/2400001409?f=sr&nr=1074&sp=14

Last edited:
Back