Home Brewing

I have often thought about it as well, but have never gotten around to it. I get lazy and just go to the liquor store to pick up beer instead :D

About 2 years ago I got a Mr. Beer homebrewing kit for christmas and approx 13 gallons worth of premixed beer kits. I have made about half of them so far, its pretty easy to do, just follow directions. However I got bored with the premade kits and now I want to get some real kegs and start experimenting on my own. There are sites where you can buy all the ingredients you need and start playing around. One thing though, it is real easy to make a huge mess.

Good luck with this! I hope Craig is right and these things have gotten better. These home brew kits first hit the market about 15 yrs ago and everyone was making beer and wine. ALL OF THEM TASTED LIKE ASS!!!!
LOL I still remember going to a Thanksgiving Day meal where a few families gathered. One of the men brought some "Homemade wine" and it was horrible. LOL You could literally see the everyone trying to keep a straight face when they took a drink. I was laughing to myself - No one finished their glass.
But things usually improve with time.

I brewe my own beer....it is not from Mr.Beer...I bought my equipment from a local homebrew store but there are great websites to buy from...austinhomebrewsupply.com or northernbrewer.....the beer kits they sell are real craft brews and are quite easy to make.

They will usually taken alittle over a month before you really want to drink...goto homebrewtalk.com web forum and welcome to the obsession

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Good luck with this! I hope Craig is right and these things have gotten better. These home brew kits first hit the market about 15 yrs ago and everyone was making beer and wine. ALL OF THEM TASTED LIKE ASS!!!!
LOL I still remember going to a Thanksgiving Day meal where a few families gathered. One of the men brought some "Homemade wine" and it was horrible. LOL You could literally see the everyone trying to keep a straight face when they took a drink. I was laughing to myself - No one finished their glass.
But things usually improve with time.

my brother's fiance's father makes his own red wine, but it is actually really good. he bottles it in huge wine bottles too, not the standard size wine bottles

my brother's fiance's father makes his own red wine, but it is actually really good. he bottles it in huge wine bottles too, not the standard size wine bottles

Some people do it right.
My grandfather had some recipe that put the mixture in a bottle and cover the mouth of the bottle with a balloon. When the balloon was fully inflated - it was ready. LOL I was a kid when they did that so I don't remember if I even tasted it.
My favorite homemade brew is sangria. My X has a killer recipe. She played around with online recipes until we found one that we liked. It was awesome!!!

I only can stand the taste of a couple beers. Dont get me wrong I love a cold when I can. But do to my low threashhold or tolerance to beer taste I couldnt imagine getting into this and liking the result.
Been enjoying beer for over 25 years. And It has been Coors Light, Lite from miller, Bush light and my latest has been Bud Light Lime. Primarily Coors light. I have tried many other beers and just cant seem to aquire a taste for them.
As fun as it sounds Home brew, for me, I'm out.:2cents:

I've never made brews but want to. I'm a micro brew fan. I cannot stand the watered lack of flavor/taste of most of the domestic beers. Sam Adams is my staple beer. Their light beer beats most standard domestic full body beers!

Left Hand Brewing, Smuttynose, Sea Dog, Portsmouth Brewing Co., Red Hook, Longtrail, Dogfish Head..... all GREAT brews! So many more it would bore you to list them...

@DirtyD - Thanks for the site links!!! :D I will look them up. :tup:

I've never made brews but want to. I'm a micro brew fan. I cannot stand the watered lack of flavor/taste of most of the domestic beers. Sam Adams is my staple beer. Their light beer beats most standard domestic full body beers!

Left Hand Brewing, Smuttynose, Sea Dog, Portsmouth Brewing Co., Red Hook, Longtrail, Dogfish Head..... all GREAT brews! So many more it would bore you to list them...

i really like smutty nose brown ale. long trail double bag, and dogfish head are nice and strong and taste good. sam adams is always a staple and you didn't mention it (too many to list), but harpoon is fantastic. they have a brewery here in boston and one in vermont. i went to their octoberfest at the brewery last year and it was awesome. they also have other events and if you join their friends of harpoon brewery group you can gain access to other stuff. my brother signed up with them for free on facebook and got free acdc tickets when they came to gillette stadium, not even part of a contest, just had tickets and it was first come first serve. they have some good beers though. ipa, summer ale, octoberfest, ufo (heffeweisen) and a some more. i'd give it a try if you haven't.

My uncle brews his own stuff at home - I think those turn out alright.

I haven't gotten into it myself, I wind up spending the money and time on other projects and just buy the stuff I know is good.

I've been doing it for almost a year now, there are clone recipes for alot of your favorite brews.... I do extract brewing bc I don't have the space for all grain... I purchased a large chest freezer from craigslist and incased it in wood and now my beers are on draft...it is awesome....I am drinking a tastey IPA on it now

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

I also purchase kits from Northern Brewer. They are a great source of supplys. I keg my beer, less bottles to clean , and you get to drink it sooner. Check out James Spencer's podcast "Basic Brewing", on ITunes.

I also purchase kits from Northern Brewer. They are a great source of supplys. I keg my beer, less bottles to clean , and you get to drink it sooner. Check out James Spencer's podcast "Basic Brewing", on ITunes.

WOW!
This is interesting. LOL Having your own keg would be cool.
I knew a guy who ran a skeet shooting range here in Texas. So what do guys do after they shoot guns? Drink beer :D. Well he bought an old refrigerator and converted it to a Kegerator. It keeps the whole keg cold. He was explaining that the secret is keeping the distributing lines cold.

Hey guys I found a great book for this for my kindle app on my tablet. "The Complete Joy of Homebrewing" So far its a great read and when I get home I am so going to make this one of my hobbies for the winter when I can't go out riding :D

Back