Holes drilled in Airbox

Hi,

I recently purchased an 09 FZ1. After taking off the tank, i realized that the previous owner has drilled several holes in the top of the airbox near the front.

I searched for this and did not find it (it is not the Lars mod). Everything else on the bike looks stock except a K&N filter. Do you know why this was done? I was thinking of taping it up until i get a new cover.

I have basically no info from the PO, but the bike has under 500 miles on it and all the dealership paperwork.

This is my first foray into EFI bikes, so I'm not sure how this effects the AFR or if the ECU will compensate.

Also, while I am learning about the bike, is there anything specific i should look for?

Thanks,
Ameen

Mate,

I'd definately tape them up asap. The air is drawn into the airbox from underneath the filter, thus by drilling these holes in the top of the airbox this person has allowed unfiltered air to enter the engine.

Mate,

I'd definately tape them up asap. The air is drawn into the airbox from underneath the filter, thus by drilling these holes in the top of the airbox this person has allowed unfiltered air to enter the engine.

Awesome, confirms my suspicion that the PO was ... *special*.

Here are some pictures; its still a work in progress. Had some damage on left side, so I took the opportunity to buy the retro body kit :)

old post I know - but (I did this on my KLR650) and it is sort of common for dirt-bikes...

You can buy round foam/oil filter inserts (maybe from Finer Filter/Uni Filter) that are designed to plug into holes that you intentionally drill in the airbox...

Back