Hit 100k Miles Today!

NJFZ1

No, not on the bike, but on my trusty 2006 Honda Accord. Reached the 100k mile mark on my evening commute home.

I bought it brand new in December of '06 and have had zero issues with it. Just have done normal maintenance (oil, air filter, other fluids, etc).

This thing has been super reliable. Only have needed to replace the rear brake pads and the battery. Front brake pads are still the original ones!!!

This weekend if the weather cooperates a bit I'll do oil change, air and cabin filter along with spark plugs. I'm curious to see what a 100k mile Iridium spark plug is going to look like.

Almost there:
attachment.php

100k! :D
attachment.php

Wow, 100k miles huh? Nice car too Tony. I wouldn't mind driving an Accord.
That's 160,000km's! You must have a fair way to go to get to work every day then?

Thanks. It's an EX-L model (4 cyl, 5-speed manual) and fully loaded, leather, sunroof, etc.

Well my commute is not that far. Only about 50 miles round trip, but it's all the other driving I end up doing after work and on the weekends.

Congrats Tony! You finally reached the standard Honda break-in period! ;) These cars are good for over 400k with proper maintenance.

Same with the Toyota products... My '07 Tacoma was bought in Oct. 2007 new. I've only got 28k miles on her. I put more miles on the bike per year than the truck. 28k / 4 yrs = 7k miles per year. It will be another 10+ years at this rate to put 100k on the truck! :eek5: :D

Hey, ride those bikes more! So it comes with iridium plugs stock?

A lot of new cars come with Iridium plugs from factory. Since manufacturers have to make sure their cars are emissions compliant for 80-100k miles. I'm curious to see what the plugs will look like after 100k miles since the car still runs great and gas mileage hasn't suffered.

As for riding more...I wish I could, but riding to work is not really an option and on the weekends I usually have other things going on so my riding time is limited :(

NICE! My manager had a Odyssey that went 250k before she traded it in! (she did need a new trans at 150k, but no other major issues).

I've got a 2003 Mazda Protege5 I bought new in 2004. Scored killer deal on it, since next generation was already out and they had a 3k rebate on this one... cost me 13.5k! :D

It's got 96k miles on it now and the only thing that ever went wrong was the left front wheel bearing. I've done all the other normal maintenance myself (fluids, filters, plugs and brakes).
It could use some work now though.. handling is not as tight anymore, AC compressor squeals on start-up and there's pretty bad clutch chatter on humid days.. and of course timing belt needs to be replaced at 100k.
I'm trying to decide if I should fix it all up or just trade it in and get something new.

NICE! My manager had a Odyssey that went 250k before she traded it in! (she did need a new trans at 150k, but no other major issues).

I've got a 2003 Mazda Protege5 I bought new in 2004. Scored killer deal on it, since next generation was already out and they had a 3k rebate on this one... cost me 13.5k! :D

It's got 96k miles on it now and the only thing that ever went wrong was the left front wheel bearing. I've done all the other normal maintenance myself (fluids, filters, plugs and brakes).
It could use some work now though.. handling is not as tight anymore, AC compressor squeals on start-up and there's pretty bad clutch chatter on humid days.. and of course timing belt needs to be replaced at 100k.
I'm trying to decide if I should fix it all up or just trade it in and get something new.

Well I plan to keep the Accord another 100k miles. Still rides good. Will need brakes and tires next year, but uses timing chain instead of belt so no need to replace and manual trans is a lot more reliable than an automatic, just change fluid every 60k miles and I'm good to go. I've been driving stick all my life so I don't abuse the clutch or trans.

My Civic was nearing 300,000 miles before I submerged it under water and blew the engine to smithereens. I'm sure it would have gone long past that otherwise

100k Spark Plugs!

Well today I got around to changing the spark plugs. I had never used Iridium plugs before, but knew of their longer service intervals. I cannot believe how well my car still ran with the original plugs and how good they still looked. There was virtually no discernible wear to the electrode and there was only a little bit of carbon buildup on them. I'm tempted to say they would probably last another 100k miles. However the new ones are in there. Will keep track of my mileage over the next few tanks to see if I notice any difference but somehow I doubt it.

New plug:
attachment.php

Old plug:
attachment.php

Old and new side by side:
attachment.php

All four old plugs:
attachment.php

So there you have it! While they may not give you any additional power the long service intervals certainly make Iridium plugs very appealing for any application. This is especially true for motorcycles such as the Gen II FZ1, which make plug changes something of a project. I recently picked up a set of Iridium plugs for my FZ1 on eBay for less than the price of copper ones. Sometimes you just get lucky :D

Nothing wrong with those old ones. Just a quick cleaning and they'd be good to go, but since you had new ones you may as well just replace. Another 100k and you could have become a spokesman for Iridium!

Nothing wrong with those old ones. Just a quick cleaning and they'd be good to go, but since you had new ones you may as well just replace. Another 100k and you could have become a spokesman for Iridium!

I'm telling you I was so surprised by what little wear the 100k plugs showed. Figured that's the service interval so might as well change them. Now I'm all set for another 100k miles :D

Back