High mileage 02 FZ1

I think these bikes will pretty much run forever, with very affordable maintenance. I also think the price difference between an absolute gem with very low mileage and a nice high mileage bike is not a wide gap. You can buy the best, with very low mileage, for $3,500 to $4,000 (possibly less). A nice clean example with 72,000 miles will probably run $2,000 to $2,500. When I face such a choice, I think of what I will have 5 years down the road. How many miles will I put on the bike in those years? I believe in the old stock market theory: buy low (mileage) and sell high (mileage).

As I said, others will disagree, And a well-cared for FZ1 will bring a lot of smiles, even at 72,000 miles. Enjoy, as I don't think there is a better buy than a nice Gen 1, high mileage or low.

Welcome to the board, you will find a wealth of information and a willingness to share.

My guess is that for 3K you could easily find a nice low mileage GenI from a private seller, well cared for, and less taxes and dealer charges. I'd wait for a private deal. Ultimately, you will buy what you want, but I'd pass. Not saying that 72K is a lot of miles for this bike, just saying that you can easily find better privately.

I got the same year/color...with all the owner records, you should be fine....take cash with you and offer between $2500 and asking price..remember taxes and dmv fees/dealer fees extra..great bike ..dealer would have paid last owner low price on trade in.

I got the same year/color...with all the owner records, you should be fine....take cash with you and offer between $2500 and asking price..remember taxes and dmv fees/dealer fees extra..great bike ..dealer would have paid last owner low price on trade in.
What he said.

:sport12:

Well I would definitely be picking it up for less. It is a consignment sale and I have talked with the owner. so just wanted some feedback on everyone's thoughts on the value. Thanks for your feedback.:flash:

It depends on what you mean by less.

I would not buy anything used from the stealership.

I might entertain that bike for 2K, but I probably wouldn't purchase for anythign over 1.8.

Think about all the maintenance that may require attention now if not soon such as replacing/ at least repacking ALL the bearings. It may not be worth the headache.

That was my take on it. I guess the market is way different in sunny year round climates than in the Northeast. I'm guessing in California and Florida you can get more money for bikes with that kind of mileage. You can find later year GenI's with a fraction of that mileage for less money.

I would take it for 1500. I would never sell it after it, and treat it as such - meaning replace a lot of wear items to start, check valves, maybe replace rings if your handy and tear the bike down

I'm not sure how much bikes are selling around you, but I would get a bike with lower miles from a private seller, it seems to me that you are not certain about this one, keep looking and you'll find the right one

That's a good point, about not being certain. I am just a little skeptical of the mile. I just went and rode it,shifts great, carbs just redone, very stable bike. Little smoke from pipe at startup but not after warm

Turns out he is second owner now. Only owned for a year and put about 6k miles on it. Did a coolant carb bypass to eliminate hoses from radiator to carb. Anyone familiar with that?

That's a good point, about not being certain. I am just a little skeptical of the mile. I just went and rode it,shifts great, carbs just redone, very stable bike. Little smoke from pipe at startup but not after warm

Turns out he is second owner now. Only owned for a year and put about 6k miles on it. Did a coolant carb bypass to eliminate hoses from radiator to carb. Anyone familiar with that?

Coolant hoses to the carbs is for heating up the carbs/fuel for colder climates, better running engine, but not needed for hot climates...

Coolant hoses to the carbs is for heating up the carbs/fuel for colder climates, better running engine, but not needed for hot climates...
Kawasaki did the carb heating thing too many years ago. I had to take my old GPZ900R in to have the mod done when I lived back home in England.

Thanks for all the info, I decided against it. Just didn't feel like the right deal. Every bike I have ever bought has always felt like the right deal, this just didn't. Thanks again

Back