high flow filters

What high flow air filters are we using?
Any particular ones better than others ??
Was looking at a foam piper cross ,any one use one of these ?

I was just thinking of getting a K&N. Will I get any benefit from it if I don't have any airbox or exhaust mods? I assume it will be very small.

I was just thinking of getting a K&N. Will I get any benefit from it if I don't have any airbox or exhaust mods? I assume it will be very small.

I'm actually in the same boat as BDazzler right now, just thinking about doing a K&N.

Anybody when doing the airbox mod done it diferently than LARS. I was thinking of doing a swiss cheese approach. A lot of wholes, not a complete cut out.

Anybody when doing the airbox mod done it diferently than LARS. I was thinking of doing a swiss cheese approach. A lot of wholes, not a complete cut out.

The whole idea is to increase the opening for the air coming in, but I don't really think the swiss cheese approach is all that good with the Gen II airbox. I don't know that anyone has tried it...

I have an K&N Filter and no airboxmod. After adding the filter the bike started popping again, so I added a PC V and buy adding fuel it went away. I am not sure cutting simply the airbox is a good idea, having a bigger opening tends to reduce airspeed and thus compensates for the larger volume. Well it is not that simple and for me I rather trust the engineers of Yamaha which thought about the airbox a lot. At least from my experience I know that only adding a filter helps. However I have a leo vince slip on and it might depend on the type of slip on you have whether or not you will have lean spots in the bike.

Well my piper cross filter turned up & have installed it this morn ,,, to be honest , having seen this you could probably chop the oe filter about & make one fairly simply given the price of them ,, we will see any improvements tomorrow !

Super Streetbike magazine tested 'high flow' air filters vs stock vs no filter. The difference was .8 HP! between high flow vs stock!!! No filter picked up 1.4 HP....and this was on a ZX-14R!!! I'm sticking with the stock filter.

Super Streetbike magazine tested 'high flow' air filters vs stock vs no filter. The difference was .8 HP! between high flow vs stock!!! No filter picked up 1.4 HP....and this was on a ZX-14R!!! I'm sticking with the stock filter.

I'm not surprised by that on a stock bike. Once a bike has been modified with a freer exhaust the results may be different.

Apples to oranges
The zx14r made 214hp with the stock filter and a full system your Fz1 will not make that kind of power without nitrous or a turbo.

Get a filter open up the airbox and a slip-on and a tune the bike will be at 145+hp at the wheel.

.8 HP is a lot for just a filter swap, do the correct air box mod and add a few go fast parts and it's significant.

Back