HID lights

I want to buy a set of HID light for my Gen II and have been looking at different options.

Anyone on here that has already installed a set? What are some dos and donts?

Currently I'm looking at DDM system to still have hi/low in each side. Mostly likely will have 5k or 6k bulb color.

FZRider,

For what it's worth, BBB has them rated at an F. Of course, it may be because DDM doesn't answer BBB inquiries. Sure looks like good stuff.

Cheers,

MrHix

P.S. Check out some of the BMW auto sites, they have lots of input on DDM stuff.

Last edited:
If it's the look you're going for then go for it,, but for function don't bother the housing isn't designed to handle that intensity.
it'll be just scattered light. and in my book totally useless,, not unless you aim them down real low, but still alot of unfocused light
The DDM's are good units I had a set on my 09 R1 but the bike comes with projectors,, I would look into a retro fit kit,, drawback is it's 4X more expensive

you guys should check into installing projectors with the HID's

I (along with probably a dozen others) have installed these: HID Projector

Boneman from fz6-forum.com documented it here and it is also outlined here.

This really keeps the light pattern of the HID focused so you don't blind oncoming traffic and allow you to still use the factory aiming adjusters.

Last edited:
I fitted a HID kit to my 2009 and it was a doddle.
I ride a lot in the dark as I leave my house at 5:30am and the HID makes the difference between night and day.
The kit was very easy to install, I mounted the balasts/igniters inside the fairing using one of the existing fairing mounting bolts.
THe H4 bulbs are a driect replacement and its all plug and play, no cutting of wires etc.
The bulbs (being H4) have a high and low setting and this is achieved my an electro-magnetic shield over the bulb.
I would highly recommend getting some but make sure they are for a motorbike as they need to be waterproof.
I paid about £140 for the complete set and it was the best £140 I have spent on the bike.
Oh, and I also installed a couple of LED side lights as the original filiment bulbs looked dull and yellow in comparison.
regards.
SeanyT

Last edited:
I was thinking about doing this for my GenI to save some watts and to get the light output. I found this information in my research on another forum and thought I'd post it here. It backs up what krid80 said.

Well for starters on HID conversions, most people simply use a re-based bulb to upgrade their halogen reflector headlights. There are many different types of halogens bulbs used in auto's/bikes, eg. H1, H3 H4, H6, H7, H8, H9, H10, H11, H13, 9003, 9004, 9005, 9006, 9007, 9008 (some of these are the same bulb). in bikes, a majority of them use a 9003/H4 bulb. They can also use others types as well like a H7 etc...

Doing a simple upgrade like this consists of a HID capsule, HID ballast, cable(s) to hook up, and some hardware for mounting. The upgrade can take anywhere from 15 minutes to hours to complete depending how hard it is get at your bulbs, and finding a suitable place to mount the ballast.

Each bulb requires its own ballast to fire up the HID capsule. When the lights are turned on, the ballast ignites the gases inside the bulb using over 20,000V. High-intensity discharge lamps are similar to fluorescents in that an arc is generated between two electrodes. The arc in a HID bulb is shorter, yet it generates much more light, heat, and pressure within the capsule.

There are several advantages to HID sources:

* relatively long life (3000+ hrs) halogens typically last around 300-500 hours
* high lumen output per watt. Halogens are around 900 lumens for a low beam, whereas a HID bulb provides about 3200 lumens(4300K)
* lower power requiements compared to halogen bulbs (35W compared to 55/65W)
* less heat generated than stock bulbs

However, the following operating limitations must also be considered. First, HID lamps require time to warm up. The average warm-up time is 4 to 6 seconds. So when used in high beam applications, they do not work well for flashing due to the warm up time. If that's not an issue for you then it's irrellavent.

Doing a conversion from a halogen can offer mixed results depending on a variety of factors. First, and most importanly the design of the reflector largely determines how the HID bulb will react when installed. Since the reflector is designed for halogens, the HID bulb's pattern will never be exactly the same. Second is the design of the HID capsule. Not all HID's are created equal. Quality on aftermarket bulbs is all over the place. If the arc is not exactly in the same position where the halogen filament was, the light can be very scattered and throw off tons of glare to oncoming traffic. A high quality HID bulb can give you very good results, and not scatter the light beam.

If you get lured into buying a 'cheap' HID kit off eBay, don't expect to get very good results or to get a long service life out of the components. You do get what you pay for in most cases.

The best HID light source uses a projector lens that is designed for HID light as seen in many new luxury vehicles. There are aftermarket projector lens you can use to do your own retrofit, but you must know what your doing when attempting this type of upgrade. If done right it can be just as good as an OEM set-up, but keep in mind this is still not DOT compliant light souce, so it is still considered illegal for on-road use.
THERE ARE NO HID CONVERSION KITS THAT ARE STREET LEGAL!!
(Don't let anyone tell you anything different)
Here's what they can look like:
http://www.futurevisionhid.com/image...tor lens.jpg
http://www.futurevisionhid.com/image...20retrofit.gif

For bikes that use a 7" round sealed beam:
http://www.futurevisionhid.com/image...4 7_inch.jpg

Color options for HID are:
3000K - Yellow (good for fog applications)
4300K - Pure white (this is what OEM's use)
6000K - touch of blue
8000K - blue
10,000K - deep blue
12,000K - deep purple
Other colors can be offered as well, pink, green, extreme blue's purple, etc...

The higher you go in Kelvin(K) temperature, the less light output you get.
4300K & 6000K are highly recommended, as they provide the most amount of light, and offer a more natural light color.

Not sure if this is the type of information you are looking for, but it should get things started here.

This information sealed my decision. As soon as funds allow, I will buy a h4 projector HID Kit.

I was thinking about doing this for my GenI to save some watts and to get the light output. I found this information in my research on another forum and thought I'd post it here. It backs up what krid80 said.

This information sealed my decision. As soon as funds allow, I will buy a h4 projector HID Kit.

be sure to reply back to this post when you have done the mod. I would love to see a FZ1 with projectors.

Something mentioned in your quote isn't accurate, though. As for DOT approval, it is possible on a motorcycle but requires a significant amount of work and is not plug-n-play. You would have to use a OEM projector (DOT approved) and an OEM automotive hid setup (like the stock parts from a Infinity or Lexus). All of these parts would then be labeled DOT and be 100% legal. The pitfall is mounting non-native projectors where a reflector normally lives. This would require a lot of cutting and fabricating. Just do the offroad plug n play projector and install in your DOT headlight housing. Cops won't know it ain't srock.(they also won't care)

Can you explain what happens to the high beams when you get the low only kits? I'm also thinking about the Bi-Xenon Telesocpic kits because they have both. Thanks.

projectors are the way to go. I have telescopic bi-xenon in my Jetta and they scatter the light quite a bit. Way better than stock but not any comparison to the intensity of the projector.

A low only kit has no high beams at all. You will only have low beam.

krid80, when I looked at the auction, it appears as though the bixenon projectors have hi/low beams. The link you posted is the projectors only but I think the kit that comes with the ballasts will be about the same price, $145 del. (from this ebay store)

I got a little confused looking at the fz6 conversion until I realized that bike comes with two different types of bulbs stock.

Now I know I'm going to have to set up a donation page somewhere. I need to stop coming to this forum. The OTHER forum doesn't make me want to spend money on things as badly as this one does. :D

I say go projectors if drive on the wrong side of the road but sit on the right side of the car make sure your get the correct ones. I tried the HIDs without projectors and the unfocused scatter was terrible for other road users. PS The projectors also look way better and make "Pod" turn signals more visible.

Last edited:

Why are they not DOT Okay? Does this mean you have to be a rich bastard and able to buy a luxury vehicle to have them? Surely if they are DOT approved on luxury vehicles and some motorcycles it must be legal to retro fit them?

Why are they not DOT Okay? Does this mean you have to be a rich bastard and able to buy a luxury vehicle to have them? Surely if they are DOT approved on luxury vehicles and some motorcycles it must be legal to retro fit them?

That is a slippery road. I enjoyed my last kit, but didn't want to take any chances this go around.

Regarding projector lights

Can someone post a photo of how they attached the projector unit to the stock reflector? or is it a secret:poke:
Thanks

I was busy when I fitted mine. There are different types too. Mine have a threaded tube with keyed slots (forward aft) can't think of the right word. These slots engage in a washer that fits the H4 pattern on the rear of the reflector. On the front side a large round washer is used to locate it. Mine were a bit too large and had to be trimmed down to fit snugly in the round recess in the front of the reflector. If you have a close look at this link you might see them.
http://www.998cc.org/forum/gen-ii-mods/15304-installed-projectors.html

Back