Hi / New member needs info

Hi everyone.

I am a new member and bought a 2009 (new leftover) FZ1 earlier this summer. I just came back from a week trip to North Carolina / Georgia (tail of the dragon area) where I got the chance to push the bike a bit more than usual as the roads over there are so amazing (Definitely a "bucket list" destination well worth the 20 hours to get there for me)

My previous bike was a large V-twin so it took me a day or two to adjust to the fz1 powerband (ie rev it a lot higher than I am used to), but now really learned to appreciate this engine

Questions / comments:

- I adjusted the suspension as much as I could (trial and error and mosty made it harder despite my low weight) and it feels better than before but still not where I would like it. Is a fork / suspension upgrade a popular mod on this bike or should I just try adjusting some more?

- Despite the awsome power at high rpm, do some folks change the rear sprocket for a larger one to get a bit more pull in the mid-range? Or any way to change the gear ratio so the speedo stays true?

- I found the throttle transition (from closed to open) a bit abrupt going into corners. Is it me / my riding or something others experience and is there a way to smooth this out?

Overall I love the balance of comfort and performance on this bike - along with every day rideability. I like to ride fast once in a while but safely and nothing extreme, so looking for the few mods and adjustments that will make the bike a bit better for me without spending a fortune to turn it into a track bike (which it is not meant to be)

Thanks much for pointing me in the right direction!
Frederic

Last edited:
There are actually quite a few suspension threads going on right now just got to see what everyone is doing (mainly R1 fork swaps and penske rears are popular). I changed my seat to a yamaha comfort seat and to me it was night and day for the arse. Also I did a profile change on my rear tire and -1 on the front sprocket to get better mid range and better turn in. I have been in Iraq since winter and haven't gotten to ride it with that setup so hoping it makes a good difference. I also made my own exhaust with a Super Trapp disc kit that sounds amazing. I also like the short exhuast on these bikes so it also looks great to boot. Have fun ride safe and welcome to the fourm

Welcome aboard mate.

Looks like you have already found the common complaints of the bike pretty quickly lol

Yamaha engines tend to be revvy by nature and a larger rear sprocket or smaller front sprocket will help a bit. I'm running a +2 rear sprocket atm, others run -1 front.

For suspension I have changed the rear shock for a Nitron (UK brand) but many others are using Penske or Ohlins.
It makes a pretty big difference as the stock shock is crap.
R1 forks seem to be all the rage atm. I have a set off a 08 R1 myself currently shipping to me as we speak. Everyone that has done the R1 fork swap has loved it plus you get the added bonus of radial brakes.

The throttle transition from off to on is a common complaint, do a search for Ivans FCE.
It stops the fuel cut which is the reason for the abruptness.
I personally don't have one as I tend to bring the throttle back on smoothly, I think if you are ham fisted or whack the throttle on hard out of corners, it may be more of an issue for you.

Last edited:
Thanks guys this is really useful info. Definitively will look at the suspension as the next mod I do

As far as Ivan's FCE / remapping of the fuel injection: Is the mapping dependent on other mods such as exhaust and airbox changes or can these changes be made over time seperately?

Back