Heres one for yu... need input

Rodizle

Heres one for yu... need input "UPDATED"

When I bought my bike I picked up a set of frame sliders at Adventure Motor sports and tried to install. They didn't fit do to having the lower fairings. So we talked about it and they called around and found a longer bolt and a 1inch spacer. So after picking them up today I went to there service department and asked what the torque specks were and they said 36 ft lbs. I came home and let it cool down and tried to install. I got one side done and when I started to do the other side and it striped it out.:deadhorse::banghead:

They said to bring it in and they would fix it so that's cool, but they also said I could ride it in. What do you think, should I ride it or find a way to get it there?

Thanks

OK so I got it fixed they ran a longer bolt in to where there was still threads so that's all good.
BUT I also had my 600 mile service done to and now my clutch doesn't feel right. It is letting out at the end and it use to be in the middle.

So my question is where should it be grabbing when you are letting it out? It also feel really stiff and harder to pull in.

Last edited:
Maybe I don't understand your concern, but if its a frame slider bolt that is stripped, I would not think it would be a problem to drive it in. If you have a pic of the concerned area, that might help.

When I bought my bike I picked up a set of frame sliders at Adventure Motor sports and tried to install. They didn't fit do to having the lower fairings. So we talked about it and they called around and found a longer bolt and a 1inch spacer. So after picking them up today I went to there service department and asked what the torque specks were and they said 36 ft lbs. I came home and let it cool down and tried to install. I got one side done and when I started to do the other side and it striped it out.:deadhorse::banghead:

They said to bring it in and they would fix it so that's cool, but they also said I could ride it in. What do you think, should I ride it or find a way to get it there?

Thanks

33 ft lbs is the proper factory torque spec on a GenII. But I cannot imagine 36 would strip the threads on the bolt. That is bizarre. Although I would go with the torque specs for the frame sliders you install rather than Yamaha factory service manual.

I'm pretty sure it would be safe to ride it in. Just don't do anything crazy while riding back to the dealer. And I'm with Haileyan on this one. Don't see how torquing to 36 ft/lbs instead of 33 ft/lbs is going to strip the threads. Something just doesn't add up. It's not like you're tightening a tiny 5 or 6 mm bolt.

Don't be crazy on the way in, since I assume these frame sliders went where your engine bolts go, was it
the bolt that stripped or the hole? It's weird, it shouldn't unless it was cross threaded. I take it you don't have a tap to rethread it? I wonder how much they'll charge you in comparison to buying the tap or dye.

Don't be crazy on the way in, since I assume these frame sliders went where your engine bolts go, was it
the bolt that stripped or the hole? It's weird, it shouldn't unless it was cross threaded. I take it you don't have a tap to rethread it? I wonder how much they'll charge you in comparison to buying the tap or dye.

Its the hole. I threaded it in till it was snug then put the torque wrench on it and started to solely tighten it and herd a pop. I thought I cracked the housing the I backed it out and saw the threads from the hole were on the bolt.

I'm pretty sure it would be safe to ride it in. Just don't do anything crazy while riding back to the dealer. And I'm with Haileyan on this one. Don't see how torquing to 36 ft/lbs instead of 33 ft/lbs is going to strip the threads. Something just doesn't add up. It's not like you're tightening a tiny 5 or 6 mm bolt.

I know I couldn't believe it I was really mad.:shoot:
but now im having a ice cold BEER and its all good.

thanks everybody for all your input.

Back