Help with hands going numb

M.Martin

My hands have always, on every bike I have owned gone numb after a few miles of riding. I have big hands as I am close to 6 "5. I would like to ride to North Carolina this October 600+ miles. However, I would like to get this long time problem with falling asleep hands under control before I start. I was thinking some large diameter grips? Any advise would be super appreciated!

Grip puppy or something like that. They slide over your grip. They are made of foam and cost about $10.00.

Other than that... just relax your grip. Might want to get a pair of risers just for the trip since you are tall... you will be a bit more upright and have less weight on your wrist.

Just some idea. No rigut answer here... just need to find what work for you.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2

I've had this issue twice on the FZ1.

When I first bought the bike I had this problem on longer rides. I found I was getting a lot of vibration through the stock bars. I solved it by replacing the bars with Rizoma conical bars. This reduced the vibration and the problem went away.

The second time I had the problem was when I switched to Rizoma sportline grips which have the metal grooved section on the inner part of the grip. this provided no grip and I had to squeeze the bars tighter (especially the throttle hand) so as to keep the gas from slowly coming off. I replaced these grips with the Rizoma lux grips which have a better grip and the metal part on the outer part of the grip and the problem went away.

I suggest trying a different set of bars and more comfortable grips.

Your hands go numb for a number of reasons; gripping to tight, vibration, nerve damage, circulation problems, hand/wrist angle, carpal tunnel and I could go on. Too tight of a grip causes muscle tension and may even cut off blood circulation both cause fatigue and numbness. Also ill fitting gloves can be a culprit.

I get numb hands if I hold the grip too tight. I had an SOS Vista Cruise and it had just enough resistance that had me gripping tight, that and arthritis in my thumb. I got a shot of cortizone and that took care of the arthritis and I wrapped the grip with two layers of cushioned tennis raquet grip tape ($7). Now no more numb right hand. For my left, I'm getting carpal tunnel surgery this Wednesday but I wore a splint on that wrist and my hand didn't go numb.

Most likely you are gripping too tight and your arms and shoulders are locked up (tension). Get a Cramp Buster for about $10 and try loosening up your grip and just R-E-L-A-X.

Get some type of throttle lock so you can take your hand(s) off the bars and do some hand exercises such as wiggle your fingers, rotate your wrists etc every 15 minutes or so. This will really help along with a loose grip.
Cramp buster won't cut it for the long ride.

M.Martin, you and I are about the same height. I get a numb hand as well, usually just the throttle hand. If I'm cruising I will put my left hand on my thigh and relax.

The Fz1 is a lot more comfortable than the Fz6 I had before which was a bigger problem for me of going numb (both hands).

1. Cramp Buster: for $10-12 it is worth checking out. I use one for my long trips and will say that it definitely helps alter the pressure on the throttle wrist and keeps sensation as well as circulation in good order.

2. Grips: I have a pair of ProGrip 717's, they are a slightly bigger around than the previous grips I had and a dual compound that helps with vibration.

3. Gloves: get some with a gel palm. It helps with the vibration and also the contour of your hand when gripping. I have the Castle Streetwear Axis Glove $55. It has a gel palm that is nice as well as knuckle armor to look badass :rofl::rofl:. I've had them for about 15,000 miles of use and they are just starting to wear a hole in the left index finger. Other than that they are relatively new looking in appearance.

4. Risers and Handlebars: Haven't got this far yet, but my numbness issue is mostly managed with the above. If vibration is an issue, you can also check in to the BarSnake

5. Cervical MRI: my neck has a bone spur near the nerve opening on the right side, just so happens to correspond with where my hand goes numb. Since you have an issue on every bike, I would probably start here.

6. Physical therapy: depending on your posture (if you're 6'5" I'm guessing you've grown accustomed to slouching a little). What happens when the shoulders begin to roll forward they put undue stress on the cervical nerves as well as can begin to cause problems in what's called the brachial plexus. A good PT or massage therapist can work out the musculature and posture in that region and improve function and reduce nerve issues

Good luck, and enjoy the ride.

Lots of excellent advice above.

One thing that hasn't been mentioned yet is a heavier set of bar ends. I just put a set on my bike and they definitely muffle the vibration.

I got these: Yamaha FZ-6 & FZ1 Bar Ends

From personal experience, switching the original steel handlebar out for an aluminum one makes things much worse.. much more vibration, even if you gain a more comfortable position.

As mentioned above, throttle lock is a must for longer rides.. you want to be able to take your hand off the bar and roll it around / shake it out. Can't do that with cramp buster (which does work well for shorter rides).

I use one of these.. works very well: Go Cruise Throttle Lock Motorcycle Universal Cruise Control LH A1BK | eBay

Lots of excellent advice above.

One thing that hasn't been mentioned yet is a heavier set of bar ends. I just put a set on my bike and they definitely muffle the vibration.

I got these: Yamaha FZ-6 & FZ1 Bar Ends

From personal experience, switching the original steel handlebar out for an aluminum one makes things much worse.. much more vibration, even if you gain a more comfortable position.

As mentioned above, throttle lock is a must for longer rides.. you want to be able to take your hand off the bar and roll it around / shake it out. Can't do that with cramp buster (which does work well for shorter rides).

I use one of these.. works very well: Go Cruise Throttle Lock Motorcycle Universal Cruise Control LH A1BK | eBay

ERCI I actually went to lighter bar ends and didn't really get much change in vibration. I did a throttle body sync after though and that helped a lot.

ERCI I actually went to lighter bar ends and didn't really get much change in vibration. I did a throttle body sync after though and that helped a lot.

I did TB sync less than a thousand miles ago. Heavier bar ends don't take vibes away.. they muffle them. No heavy bar ends = very pronounces vibes on all the bikes I've ridden *shrug*

Looks like it is covered! TB sync, lever position and proper posture... you should never have your elbows locked nor should you be putting weight on your arms, wrists of the grips as it makes you hold on tighter. You should always be able to flap your elbows like a chicken! Grip the tank with you knees for support. Develop the core muscles in your stomach.

For me, it was primarily lever position and the TB sync. Once those were addressed, all was good.

Added a cramp buster, synchronized the carburetors, adjusted the throttle positioning sensor, added lead shot to the handle bar and adjusted the levers and handle bar. I think I'm good to go now!

Back