Help with chain and sprockets

I hope to post this in the right area. I keep getting jacked around by my local yamaha shop. There not a highly reputable place sadly. I called twice to get a quick answer. Factory numbers for an oem chain and sprockets for my 06 FZ1. Each time produced different numbers and a big diff in price.

So that being said, can anyone point me in the direction of a place to get oem factory installed equipment for a good price?

I rode a kawi before my fz1, and i dont know what to look for in the aftermarket department. I see conversion kits, 530 kits, 520 kits, and ect. Its all somewhat confusing. With my kawi the shop i liked was well informed, because they were honda kawasaki. Any help would be great on beefed up chain or stronger sprockets. Im a firm believer in spending money because my life is worth it.

Thanks to everyone.
Jon.

just go to your old kawi shop a bike shop is abike shop and most likly they should be able to order some d.I.d makes good chains avoid aluminum sprokets unless your a racer. but if you dont want to do any of the work yourself just go to your kawi dealer they will set you up.
or buy a set of wrenches and learn to do it yourself way more fun!!!!

I dont mind cranking down and getting dirty. I have done it all before. I was told by the kawasaki shop that the chain itself is different not only is is 122 links instead of normal 120 but its a different pitch. I cant get a straight answer from the yamaha shop on what pitch it is. 530 was what I was told the first time but the second guy said 520. What am I looking for?

Stock is a 530. I run ek-zzz chain any good name chain will work d.i.d,ek,rk i am sure there are a few i missed. Just look on line for one. same with the spcockets but the what they are made of depends on the person and how the bike i used. i just got steel sprockets from ebay. 17/45. is stock. if doing the sprockets and chain you can do a 520 conversion but all componets need to be 520. it is a smaller chain so a few more links will be needed. have you thought about going down a tooth on the front sprocket?

I dont mind cranking down and getting dirty. I have done it all before. I was told by the kawasaki shop that the chain itself is different not only is is 122 links instead of normal 120 but its a different pitch. I cant get a straight answer from the yamaha shop on what pitch it is. 530 was what I was told the first time but the second guy said 520. What am I looking for?
I am sure it`s a 530 with 122 links rollers 3/8 in length,should have a number [50VA8] stamped on the link`s,You might not be able to buy this number from any where but a yamaha shop.When I wanted to split a original chain on a Honda I could not buy the matching number link,so I just purchased the strongest link I could buy, a DID one, same as the chain and had no problems,just check the pin dia to make sure

Last edited:
awesome thank you guys for clearing it up.
I currently have a 16 tooth up front, because the previous owner did it.
I was considering the 17 again, because its got great excelleration, but the top end is a little high at 70mph which is my average speed. Wanted to see the difference with a 17 tooth setup, then decide what I liked better.

I appreciate the help guys.

Stock is a 530. I run ek-zzz chain any good name chain will work d.i.d,ek,rk i am sure there are a few i missed. Just look on line for one. same with the spcockets but the what they are made of depends on the person and how the bike i used. i just got steel sprockets from ebay. 17/45. is stock. if doing the sprockets and chain you can do a 520 conversion but all componets need to be 520. it is a smaller chain so a few more links will be needed. have you thought about going down a tooth on the front sprocket?

I have always heard to stear clear of a 520 setup with higher horsepower bikes (like our FZ1), and especially stay away from aluminum sprockets unless you like to change them often. I have ran both on a 600 with no problems but would not on a powerful bike like a 1000.

In comparson to other 1000 sport bike the fz1 is not that powerfull. I have seen alot of 520 chains at the track on 1000ss bikes that put down way more power than a fz1.

Over the years I have owned three FZ1's- one 1st gen and two 2nd gens; my current ride is a 2011. I've had aluminum sprockets on all three bikes, Vortex brand. I am a fairly aggresive rider and have not noticed any discernable wear on any of the sprockets. I think Al alloys have improved greatly over the years; I just don't understand all the warnings you get from people over Al sprockets. Of course I've only used Vortex brand.

Howdy Racer, don't know if this info will help, but for a look at inexpensive OEM parts try PartShark.com - Motorcycle Parts, ATV Parts, UTV Parts, PWC Parts, Powersports Apparel, Motorcycle Accessories for OEM and Aftermarket.. It actually is the website for a cycle dealer. It has a way to look at part diagrams, manufacturer part #'s, manufacturer List prices + their price. Just choose your manufacturer, year make and model. It saved me several hundred $$$ when my generator stator and drum took a dump!!! For what it's worth, with my setup, I'm still running the original 17T front and 45T rear sprockets. I too, am at 70MPH most of the time. She sits just a hair over 4500 rpm's at 70 and I average 43 MPG consistently.

Back