Help, Wiring a Power outlet an 01 FZ1

Can anyone tell me the best way to wire a cigaret lighter onto my bike so it powers up when bike is on and off when bike is off.
I asume i will tap in to ignition or something but i need to be told what wires and color of wires to tap into. I will have an inline fuse on it as well.
HELP PLEASE

Just wired mine directly to the battery with some decent wire. Mainly use it to charge my phone or cameras and can't really do that going down the road and rather not have to leave the bike idling while my phone is charging. Plus since there is good wire going directly to the battery i can plug a trickle charger directly into it this winter and not have to take the seats off.

I used a direct-to-battery outlet for a long time on two different bikes. For charging low-power stuff (like phones), that will be fine for most people.

As soon as I added a second accessory (heated grips, in my case), I installed a Fuze Block from fuzeblocks.com. There are several similar products, but I picked this one because I could change the fuse in each one of the circuits, and I could simply change any circuit from switched to un-switched. Aside from the battery connections, I tapped in to my license plate light wire to enable the relay. If you plan to install multiple powered accessories, adding some sort of fuse block will avoid a rats' nest of wires connected to your battery.

If you're not familiar with what a relay is, it uses current passing through a low-power wire to close (or "turn on") another circuit. This is the way to provide switched power. I would recommend NOT using power from some existing item (lights, ignition, etc.) because it's too easy to introduce electrical problems. Tapping into an existing wire is one (minor) invasion to the factory wiring, and that's enough for me.

For the record, this was the first time I'd used a Posi-Tap connector (Posi-Tap- No Crimp Tap) instead of a "cheap" tap connector. They're a bit expensive, but worth it. I'm confident in the tap connection that I use to provide power to the relay.

Last edited:
Definitely use a fuse, watched a cbr almost catch fire when his ghetto rigged lights shorted out, and the hot wire melted from battery to forks. It was a laugh for sure.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

A fused ignition-switched wire is the go.

No fuse = fire.
No ign-switch = can run battery flat if you forget something is plugged in, also if there is STILL a fire despite a fuse (eg. fuse melted) then being ign switched means you just turn the key off & the heat source stops.

I just did this yesterday. I used an old computer power cord for my wiring. I like the extra abrasion resistance, the spare wire and the price. My in-line fuse came from an old XM radio car kit. I soldered the unions and used shrink wrap to make it look tidy. The socket itself is mounted to an old dirtbike seat bracket which is mounted to the triple clamp replacing the clutch side cable guide. Recycled custom mods. :)

I just did this yesterday. I used an old computer power cord for my wiring. I like the extra abrasion resistance, the spare wire and the price. My in-line fuse came from an old XM radio car kit. I soldered the unions and used shrink wrap to make it look tidy. The socket itself is mounted to an old dirtbike seat bracket which is mounted to the triple clamp replacing the clutch side cable guide. Recycled custom mods. :)

That's an excellent idea on using the computer power cord!!!

I just wired mine in last Saturday, a 12 ga. going to a sealed mini ATC fuseholder that I put next to the big main fuse that sits atop the battery. To keep the install cleaner looking (well to me anyways) instead of wiring to the battery + post I soldered the fuseholder lead to the hot side of the main fuse. That keeps the 2 fuseholders together and 1 less lug at the battery which gets removed during winter. That 12 ga. powers my HID lights, 12v. socket & soon to be installed Stebel air horn.

I've hooked up some hand grip warmers as well as tried to add a couple outlets too. I think I cooked a USB adapter somehow and have been re-thinking how I'm going to do the setup. I've also looked around and I know fuse blocks can be expensive for quality or really cheap but then I'd worry about the cheap ones working out for a bike and being out in the weather too.

An in line fuse close to the battery, black to negative red to positive. Super easy mod, with many many uses, but especialy No more dead phone! Not sure were others are mounting it but i put mine under the passenger seat and love it there. It runs right up into my tail bag with the seat on. This picture will do better than explaining it.

Last edited:
Back