Help Please - Broken Clutch?

Hi guys,
A really weird thing has just happened. I was trying to oil my clutch cable, but while trying to disconnect the bottom end of the cable, I thought I'd just try and remove the circlip that holds the actuating arm on. I only turned this round a little bit, but now the actuating arm just moves with finger pressure, and seems to be disconnected from the clutch!

Can someone please tell me WTF is going on, as I have a horrible feeling I'm going to have to take the side casing off the engine, and I don't want to do this having literally just finished an oil change when this happened. :doh2:

Hi guys,
A really weird thing has just happened. I was trying to oil my clutch cable, but while trying to disconnect the bottom end of the cable, I thought I'd just try and remove the circlip that holds the actuating arm on. I only turned this round a little bit, but now the actuating arm just moves with finger pressure, and seems to be disconnected from the clutch!

Can someone please tell me WTF is going on, as I have a horrible feeling I'm going to have to take the side casing off the engine, and I don't want to do this having literally just finished an oil change when this happened. :doh2:

ups .. ! So I have not happened so far .. I hope someone can give you an answer forum

Hi guys,

No big deal to remove the clutch cover. That lever is connected to a shaft with a notch in it. The clutch actuating rod fits into that notch. It's not clear to me how or why the rod could come out of the notch, but take the cover off and have a look at it.

You are have to remove the clutch cover. It's the only way to diagnose or repair the issue. Removing the cover is a easy job. You will need a new gasket.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The gasket that Yamaha uses is pretty stout.. I've managed to pull my cover off and on without replacing the gasket 3 or 4 times now...

But, as others have said, you just need to get in there and have a look.... It's nothing too hard in there, and with the bike on the side stand, there should be little to no oil loss from removing the cover.

I tried to post earlier but it vanished . . . .

If you removed the arm, try and turn the shaft counterclockwise by hand until there is tension. Put the arm in about the right position from there and check it. The shaft will turn clockwise past the engagement point if allowed to.

Good luck,

MrHix

Thanks for all the responses guys - especially the tip about not losing much oil with the bike on the side stand. I'll let you know how I get on with it.

Well, it's fixed, but I don't know what the problem was to start with. Took the engine casing off, and everything looked as it should. It's a small rack and pinion mechanism, with the pinion being on the bottom of the actuating arm we see on top of the engine cases, and the rack being a rod that fits through (and pulls on) the front pressure plate of the clutch.

I just put the casing back on, and apart from not having lined up the actuating rod with the pull rod quite right (so the arm was in the wrong place), everything was right.

I re-used the original gasket, with just a thin film of blue gasket sealant as well, and everything seems fine.

Thanks again for all your comments.

Glad you got her fixed and are back on the road! It's sometimes overwhelming tackling things for the first time but once you do it the first time you become more comfortable taking things apart. Good job!

Back