Help on buying an FZ1

Hello to all,
Just signed up to the forum. Looking to purchase an FZ1 and wanted to get your opinions on a particular one I am looking at.
2007 Raven Edition, 9k miles, motovation frame sliders, fender eliminator kit, needs new rear tire. Was dropped in the garage on the right side. Right side fairing has some scratches. Other than that, looks clean. $4k.

What you all think? Good deal? What else to look for when I go see it? Any common problems too look for besides the regular used bike checks?

I have owned many bikes before, mostly naked with little upright position like a Honda 919, Aprilia Tuono 1000R, SV650...

View attachment 17131

View attachment 17132

View attachment 17133

View attachment 17134

View attachment 17135

Negotiate the price down to $3500 based on the tire and the scratches. Offer cash on the spot. Check the standard consumables but with 9000 miles on the clock, it'll be nearly new really. They are tried & true bikes and very reliable. :)

Congrats on the new FZ1. Looking forward to photos :popcorn::popcorn:

Last edited:
It must have been a hard drop in the garage as the bolts are missing on the scratched part of the fairing. Windshield is MIA as well. Just have a good look and check the frame where the weld is visible, make sure no crack. The other stuff will be fairly minor to get looking good / or replace.

OK, I spotted the windshield sitting on the rear seat. Right signal stock is bent slightly up.

Last edited:
Yea, the screen is there, he just took it off when he was moving to a different state. And he said he has all hardware to attach everything back together. He said the screws are not in because he was in the process of taking the fairing off to attach the screen but never finished the job.
I personally never heard of taking a fairing off to put the screen back on on other bikes, but maybe FZ1 is different...

He is VERY firm on $4k. He had it listed for $4500 before. $4k steal seems like a good deal looking at what others go for and the low miles is a big +.

Yea, the screen is there, he just took it off when he was moving to a different state. And he said he has all hardware to attach everything back together. He said the screws are not in because he was in the process of taking the fairing off to attach the screen but never finished the job.
I personally never heard of taking a fairing off to put the screen back on on other bikes, but maybe FZ1 is different...

He is VERY firm on $4k. He had it listed for $4500 before. $4k steal seems like a good deal looking at what others go for and the low miles is a big +.

The screen can be removed without touching the fairing. It uses the same rubber compression screws as any other bike.

Also, another question I have is, what is Raven Edition? Are there any upgrades? Or is it just the color of the bike?

Raven is just the color / decal combination.

The price seems good to me at $4K

I grew up in Duluth. Funny. My in-laws still live there, right off the square downtown.

Price is not bad, but I'd start low like others suggested. Depending on how bad scratches bother you that fairing is $516.99 alone to replace at the dealer. There there are the other little bits that are scratched. Plastic's ain't cheap. Just depends on you and if you can live with it scratched or want to replace.....that'll tell you where you need to be price wise.

Look at things like the chain, color/condition of oil & antifreeze (under seat area), etc. From the look of his garage my guess would be he doesn't spend a ton of time maintaining the bike.....but that is speculation. I'm anal and write everything down (oil changes, tire changes, etc) so I have a record. If it don't feel right, walk. There are plenty of perfect bikes out there and deals if you are patient and willing to look.

Nothing really mechanically to worry about. If you have basic knowledge of bikes you'll be okay.

Well, went to look at the bike today. It's a no-go as of right now. It was dropped on both, the left and right side. Both sides of the fairing are scratched up, the right side lever, barend, mirror, pegs and the exhaust scratched up. Left side stator cover and the pegs scratched up. Don't know how so much damage since he has sliders on there.
Both tires need to be replaced. The chain is completely rusted.
The frame weld looked to be intake. He would not budge off of $4k.
With all this damage, what would you say a good price would be? I'm thinking $3k-$3250? Or more like $3500? I can send him one more offer, and if he doesn't want it, oh well.
I am also looking at a Honda CBR600F4i. I was hoping for a more naked bike with comfortable position, and F4i is not as comfortable as FZ1, but still good.

The bike sounds a lot worse than he was representing. I'd pass.

Your $4000 budget can get a nicer FZ1 than that. The second gen (2006+) often pops up in that price range. The first gen (2001-2005) is easily found under $4000 and they are an excellent choice as well. More relaxed ergos than the second gen.

The F4i would be a fun choice, as would a VFR. For bikes with more upright positions/handlebars in the $4000 range, look to the ZRX 1200 or an older Z1000.

BP I am happy to hear that you passed on that POS. Just based on what you posted and then what you found when you saw the bike in person it was junk. I have learned over the years to look out for the just fell over in the garage deals. I am willing to bet that FZ had been was ridden hard and put away wet and on top of that the guy has the nuts to flat out lie to you. i just bought a pristine 03 FZ-1 here on the forum through one of the trustable folks here. Don't lose faith but it sucks there folks like the one you ran into in the motorcycle biz. Have fun with your new bike!

:spank2:

Back