Help ! K&N Air Filter Installed

Two Wheels

So, as a newbie mechanic, who did NOT take off the gas tank ... just tilted it back, last night I replaced the air fiter with K & N. Snugged everything back together, cover on even, tight, bike runs great. But the K&N filter comes with a metal "frame" ... to hold it in place ... you put on top of the filter, before the cover goes on. I think I put it under the filter. And it took forever as a one man effort to do all those screws without the tank off. So now Im paranoid.

So, if by chance I put the filter in correctly, but I put the metal frame below it, versus on top of it ... what harm could that do ? Again, all bolts nice and snug, including center bolt, fit like a puzzle (a good thing) but if I put that border or frame below the filter versus on top of it ... am I screwed ?

BTW ... is it just me ... or does the K&N really help performance. With the PCIII on there and not the K&N to complimet the two brothers ... freakin rocket ship....

thanks

the filter frame is there to make sure it seals to the airbox case,
if you put the frame on the bottom you should go back in and reposition the frame to the top, you could be letting debris/sand/grit past the filter.
:frown: not the answer you want, i know....

the filter frame is there to make sure it seals to the airbox case,
if you put the frame on the bottom you should go back in and reposition the frame to the top, you could be letting debris/sand/grit past the filter.
:frown: not the answer you want, i know....

+1

I unstalled a K&N filter myself last Saturday. the frame should be on top, theres a hole for a screw that goes in the frame. That Presses the filter down and not letting it go up and be useless. If you notice the rubber holding the filter is oily that will move in time if the frame is not pressing it down.
Enjoy, that is certainly lots of screws down there.

Krap. So many sfreakin crews. It wouldnt be that bad but its not like I have someone holding the tank up. Sigh.

Krap ... there goes another 1-2 hrs (I go slow)

Well, I rode it to work today (40 miles) and now have to go back. hopefully, I didnt hurt the engine. Regradless, glad I asked.

nice filter though ... bike runs like a rocket ship and smooth

Oh well. Still happy I am doing my own work ... for the learning experience if nothing else.

I take 2 bungee cords and hook them into the rear loops for the rider seat and then up to the tank. I just take a shop towel and fold in half and lay that over the front of the tank while I'm holding it. Then I hook the bungee cords to the front lip with the rag in between the hooks and the tank.

Works like a charm and they don't take up any room in my tank bag so if I need to lift the tank while on the road, I don't have to worry about finding something.

Just have a piece of PVC pipe or wood to prop up the tank, then have a facecloth or something soft at either end. Nothing will scratch...:wow:

Easy as pie. So, there's a few screws. Wait until you try to replace the sub-throttle plates or take them out...:drools:

Not such a bad job when you've done it a time or two. Remove the secondary flies on my 07 Fizzer - this was quite a pain as the screws are rather weeny but well worth the effort. She now runs much smoother and acceleration is kinda awesome. Thanks to the guys who put this mod together. Will be doing the airbox mod soon and fitting a DNA or K&N airfilter. Will report back soon as it's done.

:shine: :shine: :shine:

Hi Gang
Have now done Lars's airbox mod from the other Fizzy site. Also fitted DNA airfiler. This Fizzy has now become a BEAST. All the lag accelerating out of bends is now gone. THe all over torque is now amazing.

Hi Gang
Have now done Lars's airbox mod from the other Fizzy site. Also fitted DNA airfiler. This Fizzy has now become a BEAST. All the lag accelerating out of bends is now gone. THe all over torque is now amazing.

Yes, these FZ1's respond very well to the airbox mod and a slip on or full exhaust. Those two mods and proper tuning they become animals :D

I have a yoshi can, power commader and has beed dyno tuned, if i install a kn filter now, would i have to retune.

Would it mess with fuel economy.

Would you get a louder engine noise?

If you don't modify the airbox then I don't think a K&N filter will make much of a difference to any of the above.

Just have a piece of PVC pipe or wood to prop up the tank, then have a facecloth or something soft at either end. Nothing will scratch...:wow:

Easy as pie. So, there's a few screws. Wait until you try to replace the sub-throttle plates or take them out...:drools:

What is a good length to use to prop the tank up?

Back