Help, how do i not overtighten the xxxx chain

Doogie2.0

Hey guys, I put a new chain of sprocket on I guess about 6 months ago. You all know how much that cost, so I'd like to keep it in good shape. Here's my problem, I adjust the chain where I wanted and then when I tighten the axle nut the chain over tightens. I try to loosen it up adjust it again, I tighten the axle nut and the chain over tightens.. Can someone help me with this tell me how to adjust this thing without over tightening

I've encountered this but mine will also cant to one side, so I leave the chain just a bit looser than usual and make sure the adjustment lock-nuts are snug before tightening the axle. I'm usually able to get it pretty close to where I want it but will just fiddle with the adjustment bolts, if needed...

Nice! Glad I could be of help! 👍

I quite remember driving myself NUTS trying to get it the first few times! I do still obsess over chain/wheel alignment... 😅

I ine up the gradient marks to make sure they are same on both sides and that's as much effort and concern as I'm willing to put into alignment. If it tracks a little cockeyed I just say I'm backin it in.

It took me a couple times before realizing that tightening the axle nut and pulling the arms together makes it a smidge longer.

Tightening the axle without holding it firmly against the adjuster bolts can possibly cause the wheel to not seat right on the adjusters, and your chain can end up being too loose or too tight afterward.

A trick I learned on FZ1OA was to take a screwdriver and stick it between the rear sprocket and chain, then rotate the wheel so that the chain is nice and tight. Hold the tire in that position there firmly while you snug up the axle. The increased tension in the chain will hold the axle against the adjuster stops.

I check the slack, adjust, and snug the axle using this method, and recheck. When it's where I want it, I pull the screwdriver out, torque the axle bolt and move on. This method has worked well for me for years, on the Gen I and the Gen II.

Back