HELP Engine Oil Choices

Man there are so many choices out there! Oil topics always lead to controversy from what I have seen. If you're going to change it often enough then conventional oil is fine. I have used oils from Maxima before with good results. If you want to save some money you can try the Shell Rotella. The conventional one comes in a 15W40 grade and can be had at Walmart for under $15/gallon.

well, I've had good results with the Kawasaki 10w-40 (32.00/gallon -- so I'm in the same boat you are Billy for my oil changes)-- what can I say, the stealer is a dealer for them, and it has proven itself in my book as a good oil that can withstand the ever increasing beating I'm imposing on the FZ

Adam

First off, welcome to the forum. Good to have you aboard. Just remember one thing. If your going to use conventional motor oil, just be aware of the round circle on the label. It's either on the front or back depending on who's oil it is. The circle has writing on the top and also in the center. If the bottom of the circle has the words "Energy Conserving", DO NOT USE IT. Very important when it comes to bikes. If the circle has writing on the top and center, but the bottom part of the circle is blank, then your good to go. So just remember....ENERGY CONSERVING....BAD, Circle is blank in the bottom GOOD.

Here ya go. If you see this on the label, not good for the bike.

thumbnailCALYEIF4.jpg

Energy Conserving oils have additives that are detrimental to bikes, especially bikes that have wet clutch systems. The good oils have that bottom part of the circle blank.

Here ya go. If you see this on the label, not good for the bike.

thumbnailCALYEIF4.jpg

Energy Conserving oils have additives that are detrimental to bikes, especially bikes that have wet clutch systems. The good oils have that bottom part of the circle blank.

I totally agree with that. Here is some interesting reading.

Back