HELP!!! choosing the right exhaust lol

Hey guys, just found myself a 2002 FZ1 in mint condition, looking for a decent pipe as stock still on it, dont want anything too loud as i have just stepped off a KX 450 with System 7 Dep with power bomb header and boy my ears still ringing, but would also like to keep with the look of the bike so nothing too Sci Fi lmao any direction would be greatly appreciated.... cheers

I went with M4 - carbon fiber. This will probably be louder than what u are looking for but I thought I would mention it so u can check it out.
I literally spent hours listening to YouTube videos where people showed off their new exhaust. LOL. The same names pop up on these threads so u will probably have about 5 brands to choose from.
I really recommend Youtube. I learned a lot from watching and listening to other peoples modifications.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Hi,

I have a carbon fiber akropovic in my 2007. It is not too loud. However, when you "twist the wrist" you can definitely hear it.

Hi,

I have a carbon fiber akropovic in my 2007. It is not too loud. However, when you "twist the wrist" you can definitely hear it.

thanks guys will definately consider the Akrapovic, mate has one on his Husky dirt bike and although loud (propably different for roady) its balaned the power curve on that machine nicely, oh and youtube der why didnt i think of that lol such a great but simple idea ;) oh and if its loud when i twist wel thats just a bonus really, thanks again guys

Here is a link to some sound tracks for a few brands.

FZ1 Mufflers :cheers:

cool link ty..... must admit the yoshi sounds sweet on my ears lol...

not up to speed on mufflers for roadies saw in our local honda ktm shop slip on yoshis for sale is this a out of date style thing or are better pipes hitting the market...? thanks again for input wife staring at me saying i thought you where keeping it stock hahahhahah silly girl she knows not what she says lmao

Since you have a gen 1, the akrapovic is very difficult to find although it maybe easier where you are. I have a yoshimura. I had the TRS and loved it. Now I have the RS but it doesn't sound the same. The TRS is a little deeper sounding or the used one I had needed repacking! Either way I miss the look of the tri oval and my get a cf replacement early next year.
TRS_SS.jpg

Another one I'm thinking about is the Mivv GP in CF:
Y009L6Sa.jpg

My biggest problem has always been spending near $500 for a muffler when the muffler will be more than 10% of the bike's value. Because of that I find myself looking at DanMoto and Delkevic exhausts!

DanMoto:
4c119d9276d0485b96cc29c3bcfdd177.image.750x501.jpg

Can't seem to find a pic of the Delkevic on a gen 1.

LOL
WOW - 2 brands and thats it?!?!?!? :eek5: LOL I guess everyone is out BBQing.

The usual suspects are:

Leo Vance

Yoshimura

D&D

Full Muzzy

Holeshot - This one has a interesting options that allows you to raise the muffler to almost seat level. It actually looks pretty sharp.

Two Bros

These are the brands that you see over and over in the FZ1 forums.

i'm still recommending the two brothers m2, but i just don't think he would like it because it's definitely on the loud side of the spectrum. i like it's growly sound and the looks of it are sweet. i would love to get one of the mivv suonos one day. we will see, but for now the two brothers is a great pipe to settle for if you wanna keep prices down. i think it's a good value.

All of this will be changing going forward. In the next couple of years CA will require all aftermarket pipes to be within EPA sound levels, which means all pipes marketed in the US will end up with this de facto standard. And probably most sold overseas as well as makers aren't going to do research and make several different types of pipes for the same bike. This is in response to loud aftermarket or straight pipes that people chuck on their bikes as the first order of business without regard to the dB's they are putting out. The "Loud pipes save lives" contingent can also be blamed for this legislation.

i'm still recommending the two brothers m2, but i just don't think he would like it because it's definitely on the loud side of the spectrum. i like it's growly sound and the looks of it are sweet. i would love to get one of the mivv suonos one day. we will see, but for now the two brothers is a great pipe to settle for if you wanna keep prices down. i think it's a good value.

I agree.
My M4 is a beautiful piece of equipment but it makes the FZ sound angry :sinister:
I like that but I don't think the original poster will like it.
Here is mine btw:

IMAG0098.jpg

IMAG0035.jpg

:yes:

Like I said - Probably not your style but I always think it's important to look at all the choices before you drop several hundred dollars on something.
Good luck on your search. I have upgraded the exhaust in every motorcycle/cage that I have ever owned. I think you made a good decision to include a new muffler on your bike.

Hey - just for fun - When you are making the switch, start your bike up when there is no muffler on it at all. LOL It's amazing to listen to "before and after".

I agree.
My M4 is a beautiful piece of equipment but it makes the FZ sound angry :sinister:
I like that but I don't think the original poster will like it.
Here is mine btw:

IMAG0098.jpg

IMAG0035.jpg

:yes:

Like I said - Probably not your style but I always think it's important to look at all the choices before you drop several hundred dollars on something.
Good luck on your search. I have upgraded the exhaust in every motorcycle/cage that I have ever owned. I think you made a good decision to include a new muffler on your bike.

Hey - just for fun - When you are making the switch, start your bike up when there is no muffler on it at all. LOL It's amazing to listen to "before and after".
hang on rewind rewind lmao maybe i should rephrase original statement of LOUD by all means i want some meaty noise just not insane as i have had this for last 4 years on my mXer :) dont cut my options down too much on DB level.... hahahh

hang on rewind rewind lmao maybe i should rephrase original statement of LOUD by all means i want some meaty noise just not insane as i have had this for last 4 years on my mXer :) dont cut my options down too much on DB level.... hahahh

LOL
I understand. Well the M4 definitely has some meat on it!!! :D So do some of the other big names.
Here is a video (sound is not great). I honestly think mine sounds a little deeper. I may try to record a little when I get off work.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6Yv2eOY0EI"]YouTube - ‪My 2009 Yamaha FZ1‬‏[/ame]

Last edited:
I recently put on a jardine street core aluminum can. Sounds a bit louder than factory, but not anything like m4 roar. The performance boost was what i was looking for anyway.
here it is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kqvQ6d8ovXk&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

Back