Help.... 2005 FZ1 idle problem.

Recently got a 2005 FZ1 with Mikuni carbs. When you 1st start it I'm able to get it to idle at 1100 RPM soon after starting. After a few miles of riding when it warms up good the idle starts creeping up till it idles at 4000 RPM or so. I've adjusted the throttle cable so it has a 1/8" of slop in it. Turning the steering has no effect. I took the tank off and drained all gas out of it and put fresh Chevron gas in it. Same results. Any guesses as to what the problem is?

Recently got a 2005 FZ1 with Mikuni carbs. When you 1st start it I'm able to get it to idle at 1100 RPM soon after starting. After a few miles of riding when it warms up good the idle starts creeping up till it idles at 4000 RPM or so. I've adjusted the throttle cable so it has a 1/8" of slop in it. Turning the steering has no effect. I took the tank off and drained all gas out of it and put fresh Chevron gas in it. Same results. Any guesses as to what the problem is?

Are you starting it using the choke? It almost sounds as if the choke is stuck on.

i have a similar issue with my bandit 400
step one, check the choke make sure its retracting all of the way and stays that way,
step 2 check the valves, too tight of valves can cause this.
step 3 balance the carbs, you do this after doing the valves because if it is not the case and you have to adjust the valves you will need to rebalance the carbs afterwards.
RW

Yes starting it with choke but I'm taking choke off after 30 seconds or so. I was playing with the choke when it got up to 4 grand the 1st time. With the choke on RPMs shot up to 5500 6000 RPM in neutral!

Last edited:
What about the idle adjustment. Have you tried backing it out further? Once it warms up is when it really is going to set the idle speed.

Got it! Looks like it was a combo of two things. I was looking over everything to do with vacuum lines and boots ect. with my streamlight with the tank off. You could actually see evidence of fluid leak on the carb body to boot area on cylinders 3 and 4.

Snugged these guys up along with the other two and everything else I could get at in this area. Test ride showed well warm up RPMs dropped from 4 grand to 2500 RPM. From there I adjusted the idle down to 1100 RPM. Just got back from another test ride it is running real good now.

Just thought I would post my results of this to help someone who may be searching for similar issue in the future.

Last edited:
same problem....

Just got a 2001 with 10k mi. Sweet monster but have almost identical issue. Can't wait to check this weekend and hopefully it's the same.
Will let you know if you put me on right path.

BTW: Was looking at getting a Brutale until a little finacial issue arose. Got to ride my buddies FZ for a week while he was out of town. WOW....so glad that things went the way they did. I BELIEVE IN YAMAHA (He fREaK'd when he got back and I got one LOL)

Got it! Looks like it was a combo of two things. I was looking over everything to do with vacuum lines and boots ect. with my streamlight with the tank off. You could actually see evidence of fluid leak on the carb body to boot area on cylinders 3 and 4.

Snugged these guys up along with the other two and everything else I could get at in this area. Test ride showed well warm up RPMs dropped from 4 grand to 2500 RPM. From there I adjusted the idle down to 1100 RPM. Just got back from another test ride it is running real good now.

Just thought I would post my results of this to help someone who may be searching for similar issue in the future.

Hey... Thanks for the come-back info on this. It's good to hear how things come out.
Good luck and good fun!

Back