Helmet lock?

It's not a "helmet lock" in the typical sense but I've seen Tony do his. You remove the seat and there is a hook to receive the helmet strap, and then you lock the seat back in place.
For real? I looked all over on mine and couldn't find something like that. That's exactly what I had on my Katana but could find nothing on my FZ1 to secure my helmet. Any chance you could take a pic of the `hook' you're referring to?

For real? I looked all over on mine and couldn't find something like that. That's exactly what I had on my Katana but could find nothing on my FZ1 to secure my helmet. Any chance you could take a pic of the `hook' you're referring to?

Unfortunately I ride a GenI with a big juicy helmet lock on the rear left side. When riding with Tony (NJFZ1), I saw him lock his helmet by unlocking the rear seat and placing the eyelet over a nub or protrusion underneath, and then locking the seat back down on top of it and it was secure. Maybe someone with a GenII can snap a photo of what I'm talking about. If I remember correctly it was on the left side of the seat tray if your sitting on the bike or opposite the exhaust side.

I'll have to look tomorrow. I know I've cancelled mine out though with the Copperdog Strike cowl but I can put the rear seat on and get a pic if it is still needed. :D

I'm here :D Yea, you can use either of the two protruding plastic nubs on the bottom of the rear seat to lock your helmet. There wont be much room, but once you get the hang of it it's not that difficult. Basically remove the rear seat, place the metal d-ring of the helmet over one of these nubs while setting the helmet on top of the seat. Then just lock seat back in place and helmet will stay on the seat safely secure...

Wow, great idea! I almost bought a generic lock but that worked great. After reading that just now I ran out to the garage and had to try it out!! Works great!

Wow, great idea! I almost bought a generic lock but that worked great. After reading that just now I ran out to the garage and had to try it out!! Works great!

Sometimes the best "tricks" are free :D However, I can't take credit for discovering this as I saw it on another forum. I still can't believe Yamaha didn't install a helmet lock on this bike :shame:

I tried this but I don't think it's going to work out for me. I have a quick release on my helmet strap which makes it tough. I can get the seat locked with the helmet attached as you describe, but it's a tight fit, and requires a good deal of force both to latch an unlatch the seat.

I'll probably either a handlebar-mounted helmet lock, or find a good piece of metal that I can bend into a hook and bolt down under the seat.

Worked for me as well .. here are some pics for others who may be interested.. thanks for the great idea!

Helmet in locked position:
seat1.jpg

Closeup of plastic nub and helmet D ring:
seat2.jpg

Underseat nubs shown:
seat3.jpg

Last edited:
What I was told by the dealer, and it works.. Hard to explain but here goes..

The 2 metal clips that go in first on the rear seat, then you pop in the back of it. Well you just put one of those through the drings, then put the seat on as normal. Little tricky holding the helmet and the seat but it did work normal. I was a bit dissapointed not seeing something like my Gen 1 had, but once he showed me that I was happy. Plus, you cant see it so its a nice thing being hidden as it was pretty ugly on the Gen 1 lol.

Hope that made sence?

(FZ1NH) Not a problem! For the short time I've been on this board I've learned so much from you all... just trying to do my part! ;)

Last edited:
Back