Helmet integrated led lights.

Hi.

As I travel a lot during the evening to work, I thought I might install LED's by drilling holes in the helmet shell in order to provide better visibilty. I would like to intergrate a battery pack to power the lights with a switch as I hope they make these thing's small enough to do so.

I've searched the web for such helmets but have found nothing I'd like to have.

Can someone suggest the type of LEDS, wiring, power supply etc...
or
any link's for information would be appreciated.

Thank's

P.s. Does this sound plain stupid??? lol

Well, I'm trying to envision it, but what about installing another set of fog lights on the forks to increase your night time visibility.

Or are you just trying to increase YOUR visibility while driving at night?

BroHay

I may be wrong but I don't think you can drill into a helmet and still have it D.O.T. approved. I believe that the structural integrity comes into play once the shell is disturbed. Look for something to glue on thats battery powered and self contained. Billy.

My post was a bit vague sorry.

The idea is to mainly increase my visibility to other motorists for added security. On the other hand, forward white LEDs could act as a flashlight as well as adding better visibility to others. I've seen units you attach to the top or side of the helmet but I would prefer something somewhat invisible unless turned on.

Check out Custom Dynamics. When it comes to lighting and specifically LED's they have a pretty good line of products. As far as puttting out a forward bean, an LED without a lens to focus it probably won't do much. Check out Custom Dynamics and see if you find anything there.

one of the accessory catalogues...(m and p i think) that we get over here does red led lights that are stuck on to the back of the helmet...

they work if you are travelling at over 30 mph.....

advantages..

no battery pack..powered by the wind

deffo get noticed

looks different

probably looks cool....not seen one for real yet though

removable from helmet

only costs 5 quid if i remember right...

disadvantages

doesnt work when you stop

only provided for rear of helmet...if you want front ones as well

dunno if these are the ones you've seen..maybe worth looking at if not

Last edited:
I wouldnt drill holes in the helmet in case it weakens the shell. Its there to protect your head in a collision and anything that reduces its strength is bad news IMO.

You do NOT want to drill holes in your helmet, this will cause the helmet to crack where you've drilled it. All helmet manufacturers will tell you this is a bad idea. Try this instead: Wireless Helmet Brake Light or this: HJC Windlight LED Helmet Light :: New Enough, LTD There are also some good 3M reflective stickers, very bright, like real lights: Conspicuity, Inc. Reflective Products Cheers.

I checked out the Wireless Helmet Brake Light and it looked like a nice setup. I wouldn't use that wind light. I can imagine the noise it must make from the little turbine at speed. As for the stripes, I think its kind of a cheesy look. You end up looking like a crash test dummy. Some sort of flashing LED's are the way to go IMO.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

I know that it is definitely not for all :poke: (including me :nerd:), but at least one can see it tastefully done on an FZ.

Pics are from another FZ forum, but they get the point shown for the visibility aspect.

BroHay

Back