Helmet Communication

So, I'm looking for a walkie-talkie type system for two helmets. Doesn't need Bluetooth or anything fancy. Just a cheap way for the wife and I to communicate while riding.

Suggestions?

So, I'm looking for a walkie-talkie type system for two helmets. Doesn't need Bluetooth or anything fancy. Just a cheap way for the wife and I to communicate while riding.

Suggestions?

Midland makes a helmet mic and ear setup for their midland GMRS and frs radio's.

or

I just put on the midland BT2 bluetooth settup which will talk to other BT2's via bluetooth or i can hook my gmrs radios to it also and have a few mile range. What i like about it is it connects to my phone at the same time, so i don't even miss a call. I found it at Abes of Maine for about $120 bucks, but radio shack has a 2 pack for $199 online. you wouldn't even need two-way radio's if you just picked that up, just install one in your helmet and the other in the wifes helmet and start talking up a storm $199 total. Oh it also has a connection for your ipod or as i use a HD FM radio if you want to listen to music.

Thanks Buick for the link. I was just looking at the SENA model that Dennis posted a review on the other day. I have read about the Midland setup about a month ago but there were not enough reviews to warrant buying it. Could you elaborate for us more on the quality, range, ease of use, and sound of the Midland unit. I am looking for one right now because my 16 year old just got his permit and first bike and I want to be able to communicate with him while riding so as to keep him out of trouble. I see things that only come with experience that he doesn't and I would feel so much safer being able to warn him and make him notice possible dangers while we ride. I would appreciate it greatly. Thanks!

Thanks Buick for the link. I was just looking at the SENA model that Dennis posted a review on the other day. I have read about the Midland setup about a month ago but there were not enough reviews to warrant buying it. Could you elaborate for us more on the quality, range, ease of use, and sound of the Midland unit. I am looking for one right now because my 16 year old just got his permit and first bike and I want to be able to communicate with him while riding so as to keep him out of trouble. I see things that only come with experience that he doesn't and I would feel so much safer being able to warn him and make him notice possible dangers while we ride. I would appreciate it greatly. Thanks!

Billy I will let you know how the SENA unit works as soon as I get it,(should be early next week) and I'll post a review.

Thanks Oldschool. I just want to know which of these two units work the best. I have heard nothing but great things about the SENA unit, but the price of the Midland unit is hard to pass up if it works good as well. The SENA unit is only 59 bucks more than the Midland, and I heard that the range on it is really great. I'm not really interested in the receiving cell calls or listening to music while I ride, and I don't want Richie to get into the habit of listening to music either. Here in NY it's every man for himself on the roads and having music blasting in my helmet can be distracting, and possibly dangerous. I can see in rural areas where traffic isn't an issue but here you have to be alert as heck. I'll be looking forward to your review. Thanks.

Midland comm

I've only used it for cell so far and that works great especially along with my Garmin, I hear and see whose calling.

My brother is getting his Midland this week, I'll let you know how the bluetooth communications works between bikes.

My son got his license this past fall and we ride everywhere so i may be buying a couple more midland units if this works out well. Oh I have to buy a couple because my daughter wont let us go alone, she's always on the back of mine.

As far as quality, seems pretty well made, rubberized, holding up to everything so far, rain and shine. I made the 1100 mile trip from Atlanta to western Mass and got caught in rain for about 200 miles and it still worked fine.

Kept turned on all day works for 8 to 10 hrs. If you turn it off when not riding probably last couple days.

Little clumsy when used with gloves, but I turn it on before I get on the bike anyways.

Sound is pretty good, auto adjusting. I can hear everyone on cell phone clearly until about 45, then wind noise starts getting loud enough to make it a little harder to hold a good conversation on phone, but hey if your doing highway speeds, who wants to be on the phone, not I.

My friend and I just split the Scala Rider Q2 Multiset - $245.99 on Amazon

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Cardo-Systems-Scala-Rider-Multiset/dp/B001G1DFLS/ref=pd_sbs_auto_2]Amazon.com: Cardo Systems Scala Rider Q2 Multiset - --/--: Automotive[/ame]

We just finished a trial run with the set. I definitely agree with the comments about safety. "Stones in the turn...car's merging into you...we need to take this exit." I have to say that the Bike-2-Bike communication is amazingly clear. At 75mph its crystal clear, plenty volume through the speakers the microphone position can very inside the helmet and it didn't seem to take an effect.

The FM radio is definitely just $2.00 feature they add on to say they have it. Scanning the channels is a pain and eventually you get fed up and turn it off. I haven't tried the cell phone connection yet, but I am really happy with the communicator.

Also, the multiset comes with 2 identical FULL sets so 2 chargers, 2 spare microphone covers, 2 adhesive bases, 2 bolt on bases, 2 MP3 connector cables, and two protective cases. I don't know anything about the Midland set but my friend rated the Scala Q2 Multiset as "the second best purchase of his life, with the first being his Ninja 650.

It was just a short ride but we're riding 350-400 miles tomorrow so I'll update if it turns out they break or something.

*Update 5/1* Finished a day's ride these 350 miles of a good combination of in town, country rodes and highway usage. We got poored on (Q2 warns their are weather related issues) at one point. The Scala Q2 missed a beat. We both ride with ear plugs to avoid wind noise, even with earplugs in at highway speeds we could take normal and hear each other. That's actually something we both couldn't believe, you don't shout you just speak normal, even softly and you can hear really well. Perfect product for perfect price if you buy them on amazon.

Last edited:
I have been looking at the Chatterbox XBi setup. Runs around $135 each, wireless, bluetooth (if you need it), 8+ hours rechargable battery life, really small, stereo sound.

Anybody use this system for rider to passenger comm???

Thanks,

MrHix

Back