Hello to all

Broke_Dirty_FZ1

I just registered today after having bought my first FZ1. My riding experience began in 1997 when I bought my first motorcycle, a 1981 XJ550 Maxim. Since then I have owned and ridden, 3 R6s, a Ducati 748, a Ducati 916, and a Ducati Monster. I still have the Maxim, and I just picked up the FZ1 today. I have done most maintenance myself, so I know my way around bikes a bit.

I look forward to learning from you guys and gals and I hope I can be of help to you all also, once I learn my way around the site.

Easy layout and has good information contained....but I have to ask, what is it about the Maxim that it is with you still today?

Welcome to the forum!

Adam

Welcome aboard, maybe we can clean you up a bit. Well maybe. Is the Maxim still rideable? I remember them well, a fine little bike not a killer, but a dependable and jippy ride.

Easy layout and has good information contained....but I have to ask, what is it about the Maxim that it is with you still today?

Welcome to the forum!

Adam

To be honest with you, the Maxim has spent a lot of time sitting around then I would spend a few bucks every few months getting it back running again and it has quite a story behind it.

I came across the Maxim while I was driving through a neighborhood as a recruiter for the Marine Corps. I had known for a while that I wanted to learn how to ride, and when I saw it I knew it would be the perfect learner bike. $1000 and a couple of hours later, it was sitting in my garage and I was learning to ride it in the wee hours of the night.

When I had to leave recruiting for another duty station, I sold the bike to one of my high school buddies, as I actually grew up in Chicago, for the same amount that I paid for it. Well, he was making payments on it when he could, and I called him for the last $200 he owed me because I needed it, and he told me to come get the bike because his parents were extremely against him riding the thing and he was still living at home as a full time college student, so of course he had to follow their rules. He said I didn't even have to give him any money, just come get it.

Well, after a good cleaning, a new battery, and some new tires, I had her back on the road. But then she sat around while I rode the newer sport bikes. Up to the point of the Monster, I had sold off the crotch rockets because they were beginning to aggravate my wrists quite bad and I was just driving my Blazer. Then when gas hit almost $5, I decided to get the Maxim back on the road to ride to work because I was driving about 110 miles a day round trip. I got her back going, but she still wasn't as reliable as before and that is when I decided to get the Monster. I figured it would be easier on the wrist, but it actually still bothered me so I sold it also. I then turned my attention back to the Maxim and completely rebuilt the carbs, reshimmed the valves, tuned it up but still didn't feel comfortable riding it because it still needs a little bit of work. As of the last time I checked, the electrical system is marginal and it will burn about a 1/2 quart of oil in three or four days of riding. I still plan on working on it, but more as a project bike than a daily rider. Just this year, I put about $500 into it in parts and special tools.

And that is where the FZ1 comes in. I kept seeing it by the side of the highway for about two weeks before I decided to stop and get some information on it. It took about a month but I finally bought it. During that month, I almost bought a brand new one because I thought the guy had sold the bike after I had talked to him because I didn't see it out by the road anymore. But it turns out, he was getting home late and just wasn't putting it out there for a while. Then I saw it again, and decided to call him once more. I basically decided I would prefer a $115 payment for three years instead of a $210 payment for five years on the new bike. Not to mention, insurance is only $129 for the 2002 model per year. I am sure the '09 model would have been six to seven hundred per year.

Welcome aboard, maybe we can clean you up a bit. Well maybe. Is the Maxim still rideable? I remember them well, a fine little bike not a killer, but a dependable and jippy ride.

As you can see by my last post, the Maxim is very much so still rideable. Matter of fact, there is a huge following on these type bikes and I still them around here every once in a while.

Maxim

Welcome to the forum. I used to ride a maxim 650, (81) back in the day. It was agood machine. After having the FZ 1 I think I'd be very bored riding it now.:Rockon:

Back