Hello, my name is Matt

Wannabe

Right now I am sitting in a big honkin' SUV headed south through North Carolina with a few friends. Destination Daytona. Hitched up for the ride is my brand new 2009 FZ1. My bike lust satiated.

Last week my up-until-then reliable 85 Magna gave up the ghost, or possibly a cam chain. This bike was purchased new in 1985 by my father and he clocked a little over 93 thousand miles before, in an act of extreme generosity, bequeathed the bike to me. That was about 3 years and 30k miles ago. He also got a new Goldwing out of the deal so it was win-win.

Since taking ownership of the venerable V4 muscle bike, we have traveled most of the Southeast as far down as Key West and across the mighty Mississippi to the Lone Star State. Many fine memories of twisty roads, curvy women, and flowing liquor.

So here I am in the back of this vehicle fuel injected with a Super Tanker's worth of Saudi crude and a Fizzy with a total of 71 miles on the OD. I wanted to say thank you to the members of this board who, unknowingly 'till now, helped confirm this fine Yamaha would be a worthy successor to my Magna.

It is a shame I had to trailer for this first trip, but that is just the way the cards were dealt this hand. I look forward to getting to know the members of this board and I hope I can contribute.

Black River, NC, USA
staticmap

Welcome!

We'll have to get together and ride man... my riding buddy lives in Fort Defiance, VA... (just north of the 64 exit toward C'Ville) ... my sis lives in C'Ville.... my folks live in Lexington...

so... yeah... we should meet up.

:welcome: Matt and congrats! Glad that lurking helped you out, you bought the beast and are now a member. :tup: Can't wait to hear your ride reports coming off the V4 to the I4!

Thanks everybody. We currently somewhere in central SC makong decent time. It is raining yet again. Better than snow I suppose.

I will post reports from the #Daytona2011 madness once we hit the strip.

Well, we just passed Santee, SC and the skies ahead are looking better. Not great, but better.

Elloree, SC, USA
staticmap

It was coming down pretty good while still north of Santee.

Nice ride romr.

The bike has been mine for about 22 hours now and I have a rough idea of what is going to happen over the next few weeks. Frame sliders were installed before the bike left the dealership.

I am a gadget fiend and love having my iPhone mounted to the bars for the GPS, MP3, camera trifecta it offers. Hopefully the new iPhone 4 will be delivered soon. Work just ordered a few of the VZW variety.

1st is the Fuzeblock FZ-1. That thing looks mint. I couldn't stand the rat's nest wiring job my father cobbled together over 2 plus decades on the V65. I can reattach my battery tender and Widder piglets.

2nd will be the Powerlet with Ram Mount for iPhone connected to the Fuzeblock.

3rd will be a set of Oxford heated sport grips. I am planning on also wiring these into the Fuzeblock as the iPhone doesn't draw much juice. Not sure what the Widder vest is rated at so I may need to investigate whether the block can safely handle two heated items. I rarely use the vest though.

Any suggestions on a fender eliminator kit?

:ditto:

Just came back from Florida, only enjoyed Friday in Daytona before I came back. I hope you guys have the nice weather my wife and I had last week. This bike is fun to ride and I am sure you will enjoy it.

Thanks Cos_FZ1, ThePopularJock, C-Snake.

Crossed the FL line a little bit ago. Almost to Jacksonville. The weather has definitely improved from Va. I just received a flash flood warning for Charlottesville.
Jacksonville North Estates, Jacksonville, FL 32218, USA
staticmap

Personally I'm a fan of the Evotech fender eliminator kit. IMHO their products are very well made. Used to have one on my FZ1 before I installed the Givi side cases.

YAMAHA FZ1N/FZ8N FENDER ELIMINATOR / TAIL TIDY.Evotech - (item 290543490248 end time Apr-08-11 17:45:18 PDT)

+1 Nice product, but you will get lots of road spray if you ride in the rain a lot. They also make a real nice exhaust hanger for when you dump that potato cannon of a stock muffler.

Madness pics welcome!!

Back