header pipes

Hey just got back from a ride home from work only a40 miles and 2 of header pipes realy got discolored 1 more than the other took pic see what you all think are question if it looks like they are running lean

I'm pretty sure that blue headers mean it's running rich and more grayish means it's running lean. Looks lean to me, but don't quote me on that cause I'm not an expert.

Do you have any mods on your bike? It naturally runs lean (most bikes with factory settings do).
I wouldn't worry about it if the bike runs well and your fuel economy is *normal* (should be getting ~35).
If discoloration on header bothers you, you can always clean it up, but it typically only lasts a very short while before it turns ugly again.

haven't noticed any lose of power just hit me strange that cylinder 3 &4 (not sure of Cylinder # going from left "clutch lever" right "throttle") had so much mostly #3 compared to the rest. no mods stock 100% and only 1100 miles

haven't noticed any lose of power just hit me strange that cylinder 3 &4 (not sure of Cylinder # going from left "clutch lever" right "throttle") had so much mostly #3 compared to the rest. no mods stock 100% and only 1100 miles

I wouldn't worry about it at all.

Buy a tube of Simichrome, get some soft towels and use a bit of elbow grease and they will clean right up. Repeat every 1,000 miles or so.

#3 is definately different. I have headers with 40K miles that dont look that way.

See what your dealer says. But, if he blows you off, get it in writing.

Hey just got back from a ride home from work only a40 miles and 2 of header pipes realy got discolored 1 more than the other took pic see what you all think are question if it looks like they are running lean

I don't see any discoloration on your headers,what you see on no3 is normal oxidation an dirt, I bet it was there for long time you just didn't notice

Discoloration is an oxide layer formed at high temp on a piece of metal , it will vary in color depending on the metal an temperature when it was exposed to oxygen, stainless will go from golden(low temp) to red(ish) to blue than gray-black(close to melting point)

Start to worry when you see blue 4-5 inch from the head

:wilynily:

Back