Header over just adding a can

The weigh savings are a plus however replacing the stock cannon also yields way more weight savings. It is a truly heavy piece of gear, especially when compared to an aftermarket can.

Back to your original question, if you were to buy a Yoshimura header and then spend money at an exhaust shop mating it to your stock pipe, then yes, you would probably find nice improvements in the midrange.

Knowing what I know now and after riding my Arrow header equipped bike back to back with Blanchy's R77 Yoshi full system, I wouldn't waste my money again on the Arrow header.

While the Arrow header is lighter and looks awesome, you are giving up 10P in the midrange compared to a Yoshi header.

EDIT: I originally replied to this post when using Tapatalk so I didn't see that this was for the Gen 1.

Please disregard my recommendation of Yoshimura for the Gen 1 as I have no idea if they are any good or not on a Gen 1.

Last edited:
The stock can weighs 16 lbs my gytr weighs something like 4.2 so that's a definite savings. Yes a full system will benefit you more than just a slip on. 4 strokes aren't as picky but mismatched systems don't tend to make as much power as a complete system that's been developed to work together.

I always love the weight savings argument. Listen guys. I doubt the average rider could feel the difference between 1 lb or 20lbs saved on their ride. The more anal retentive on this forum would love you to believe that every pound counts. Truth be told you can save more weight by riding around with 1/4 tank of gas. Even then I bet you wouldn't notice the difference. Performance is one thing, but doing a pipe because it saves weight is crazy. Most of us are not professional racers where every ounce counts. I know we like to pretend we are but please. You could change your battery, take out the AIS, remove exup servo, yada,yada..... Save your self 20 or so lbs, and I guarantee you still wouldn't notice the difference. I mean really. How many of us can tell an empty tank of gas to a full tank just by feel. And that is top heavy weight. Prob the easiest difference to feel as far as handling goes. Good luck with your mods. Performance mods should be done for exactly that, performance. If the 20 or so lbs in savings justifies you in spending the money, then by all means. You can also ride around with 1/4 tank of gas and take a big dump before your ride, and prob save the same weight for free. Lol

Last edited:
I always love the weight savings argument. Listen guys. I doubt the average rider could feel the difference between 1 lb or 20lbs saved on their ride. The more anal retentive on this forum would love you to believe that every pound counts. Truth be told you can save more weight by riding around with 1/4 tank of gas. Even then I bet you wouldn't notice the difference. Performance is one thing, but doing a pipe because it saves weight is crazy. Most of us are not professional racers where every ounce counts. I know we like to pretend we are but please. You could change your battery, take out the AIS, remove exup servo, yada,yada..... Save your self 20 or so lbs, and I guarantee you still wouldn't notice the difference. I mean really. How many of us can tell an empty tank of gas to a full tank just by feel. And that is top heavy weight. Prob the easiest difference to feel as far as handling goes. Good luck with your mods. Performance mods should be done for exactly that, performance. If the 20 or so lbs in savings justifies you in spending the money, then by all means. You can also ride around with 1/4 tank of gas and take a big dump before your ride, and prob save the same weight for free. Lol

I would say that the majority of riders change their exhaust systems for more power, better looks and for a deeper note. The weight loss is just an added extra.

Last edited:
I agree with Ballmead but if you could lose 20lbs up around the steering head you would feel it. On dirt bikes just losing a few lbs in that area is noticeable, fuel does not count as it will slosh around and negate any benefit. On a side note why is the abbreviation of pound lb? Anyway back to the original question, going to a full Yoshi system was the best performance mod I've done.

I agree with the other 2 I installed my slip on more for sound than anything else, along with the minimal performance increase. The 12 lbs it saves is just an added benefit. Oh and yeah when I swapped the stocker for the slip on I could feel a difference. Shaving 12 lbs off 480 SHOULD absolutely be noticed.

Maybe I just notice that stuff more than most... Lots of guys say they can't tell a difference in power swapping their Cummins to 35's but I could definitely feel the difference in mine when I went from stock (winter) to 325's (summer)

I was using tapatalk when I originally replied to this thread and I just realised that this question was for the Gen 1.

Please disregard my recommendation of Yoshimura for the Gen 1 as i have no idea if they are good or not for that model.

I was using tapatalk when I originally replied to this thread and I just realised that this question was for the Gen 1.

Please disregard my recommendation of Yoshimura for the Gen 1 as i have no idea if they are good or not for that model.

I have concerns as I'm also using Arrow headers... the Yosh really moves 10 more hp into the midrange? What RPM does that HP come alive? I may have to call Ivan and get the full Yosh system!

I have concerns as I'm also using Arrow headers... the Yosh really moves 10 more hp into the midrange? What RPM does that HP come alive? I may have to call Ivan and get the full Yosh system!

We compared dyno charts and I've ridden Blanchy's bike too.

There's more power from 5K rpm up until 10K rpm with the biggest increase at 7K of around 10HP or so.
The midrange is definitely stronger.

To do this properly we would need to get a power run done together on the same dyno, on the same day.

I'm up for it Blanchy, are you keen to take our bikes on a Saturday to Doin bikes here in Western Sydney? I can get it done pretty cheap as I know the guy well?

We compared dyno charts and I've ridden Blanchy's bike too.

There's more power from 5K rpm up until 10K rpm with the biggest increase at 7K of around 10HP or so.
The midrange is definitely stronger.

To do this properly we would need to get a power run done together on the same dyno, on the same day.

I'm up for it Blanchy, are you keen to take our bikes on a Saturday to Doin bikes here in Western Sydney? I can get it done pretty cheap as I know the guy well?

Have you both had your bikes tuned on the dyno? If not it won't be a true comparison.

I didn't lose 10HP when I switched from stock headers to the Arrow headers in the mid range. I found the bike ran better after swapping from the stock to Arrow headers after it was dyno-tuned. I'll see if I can dig out the dyno chart comparing my stock setup with a slipon, vs tuned with slipon vs tuned with arrow headers, BMC filter, AIS blockoff & slipon. I have posted it on this forum but I can't find it.

Found the chart, according to the dyno you need to add 3% to the Arrow tune as it was hot & dry on that day. Green is Arrow header, Blue is tuned stock header red is stock. No loss of HP, but a drop in torque. A flash will correct that.

would love to see Blanchy & Ballmeads comparison.

Attachments

• Arrow Tune.jpg
    Arrow Tune.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 93
Have you both had your bikes tuned on the dyno? If not it won't be a true comparison.

I didn't lose 10HP when I switched from stock headers to the Arrow headers in the mid range. I found the bike ran better after swapping from the stock to Arrow headers after it was dyno-tuned. I'll see if I can dig out the dyno chart comparing my stock setup with a slipon, vs tuned with slipon vs tuned with arrow headers, BMC filter, AIS blockoff & slipon. I have posted it on this forum but I can't find it.

Just to clarify you gain midrange with the Arrow over stock however the Yoshi gains even more.
Blanchy has agreed to the dyno shoot out, so once we arrange it we'll let you guys know.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Back