Has anyone tied their cycle into a moving truck?

Hey guys, I have an 09 FZ1 and I love it. But im moving and have a 16 foot moving truck to move with. It only has wood side rails which would hold the bike up but I would prefer tie downs on the floor. Any one ever tied to the side rails? Would that safely keep the bike up and not scratch it against the side of the truck? Please let me know if you've done this before! Thanks!

Well, if you secure the bike in enough places, should be good to go. but since you will be coming from the sides, make sure to have even tension and no slack..... and no turns with the box van like you are dreamin' of riding on the FZ to your new destination.....

BroHay

If it has a wood floor I'd put 2/4's down on both sides of the tires to keep the wheels from sliding side to side. Then tie off the handlebars and footpeg bars to the sides. I've done this and carried my bike over 1200 miles without a mishap. If you have to, buy some big lag type eye bolts to screw into the sides of the truck.

I will ride it to new destination for you. Buy me a ticket to you and from your new location to Florida. I promise to take good care of it! I won't even charge you for the delivery! Just trying to help a brother out.

That might not be a bad deal! Considering that you'll probably pay just that much for the U-haul. You know that you are not going to put anything else in there with that precious cargo....:poke: so save yourself having to rent two of them.....

BroHay

I am a trainer for the MTP program in Canada and we load twelve motorcycles in a 16 foot Ryder truck. Mind you we are not too concern about a scratch here or there considering they are training bikes.

First you need to ensure the rails on the truck are bolted through the walls. Some only have a leg bolts which can pull out on a bumping road. You need to ensure you have a solid place to rachet too. Then you will need four rachet type straps. I recommend to strap the bike with the front tire against something solid. Place the bike on the sidestand rachet that side first but not too tight. Then do the brake side. Rachet the bike down so the front suspension compresses. Then strap the rear to prevent side to side.

Hope that helps

Back