Hard to start?

Okay guys my 2012 FZ1 has 3800 miles on it. It has gotten where it is hard to start. If i just hit the starter it won't fire up. Once I hit it and it starts turning over I have to crack the throttle a little bit then it will fire right up. Only does this when its cold. When it's warm if you tap the starter it fires right up.

Gas is pretty fresh, premium. Ran Seafoam through it a few tanks ago. Gonna add some more.

I turned the idle speed up a little, still no luck.

Checked air filter it looks clean

My bike was knocked over in the driveway during a storm a month or two ago and I feel like this started after that incident. It started fine all the time the first few months I had it. I don't remember an exact time when it started this but I feel like it might have been around then.

I thought maybe valves but 3800 miles seems awfully early to be having valve problems.

Any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks,
Spencer

Are you sure the battery is turning it over quick enough, when the motor is cold, it`s possible your battery is not as good as it could be? [I give mine very little throttle on start up.]

Last edited:
Possibly, maybe I'll throw a charger on it overnight and see if right when I take it off if it fires up any better. It sounds and feels like the battery is doing it's job just fine. It doesn't sound slow or weak turning over. The battery in it was fairly new when I got the bike about 7 months ago. Thanks for the thoughts, I'm open to trying anything to see if I can narrow this down.

Back