Hard shifting

Hi all,
Strange thing happened today when shifting. Took my 2002 FZ1 for the usual sunday ride; rode it 100 miles through a backroad with many nice corners and shifting was perfect. When coming back on a straight road at 80 mph, shifting from 5th to 6th missed, like it found a neutral between those gears.
Shifted down to 5th, again 6th and continued riding with no problems. Almost arriving home, the low gears started to be hard to shift, specially 1st and 2nd. With bike stopped, but engine running I can’t find neutral and shifting 1st or 2nd is very hard. Turn engine off and shifting is smooth.
Bike has only 6,000 miles. Oil is the same brand 20-50 mineral I always used and is on the engine for 4 months. Cable adjustment, freeplay and operation is OK. Could it be clutch dragging? Actually, for the last year I’ve been noticing a bump when 1st gear is engaged. Hope nothing happened to shift forks or other internal components of the gearbox. Suggestions?
thanks.

Hi all,
Strange thing happened today when shifting. Took my 2002 FZ1 for the usual sunday ride; rode it 100 miles through a backroad with many nice corners and shifting was perfect. When coming back on a straight road at 80 mph, shifting from 5th to 6th missed, like it found a neutral between those gears.
Shifted down to 5th, again 6th and continued riding with no problems. Almost arriving home, the low gears started to be hard to shift, specially 1st and 2nd. With bike stopped, but engine running I can’t find neutral and shifting 1st or 2nd is very hard. Turn engine off and shifting is smooth.
Bike has only 6,000 miles. Oil is the same brand 20-50 mineral I always used and is on the engine for 4 months. Cable adjustment, freeplay and operation is OK. Could it be clutch dragging? Actually, for the last year I’ve been noticing a bump when 1st gear is engaged. Hope nothing happened to shift forks or other internal components of the gearbox. Suggestions?
thanks.

Hey Carlos, the clunking into first gear is normal. Every FZ I have come across does the same thing. Did you check the shift linkage?? Make sure it's not binding up and that the ball ends swivel cleanly. Just a thought. I hope you find the culprit. Billy.

As one who has replaced the shift levers with some pazzos, I've experienced some iregularities while shifting.

Check the routing and clutch cable for any area that are pinched. Check the linkage, as Billy suggests. Another thing, when did you have your last service?

I've been starting to shift rough and after an oil change, like budah.

BroHay

Last edited:
Thanks for the inputs. Linkage, cable and oil are in pretty good condition.
I've been reading somewhere, that many have had exactly the same problem and the culprit seemed to be an oil plug that falls off the clutch drive shaft. I'll open the clutch next weekend and check it.

Thanks for the inputs. Linkage, cable and oil are in pretty good condition.
I've been reading somewhere, that many have had exactly the same problem and the culprit seemed to be an oil plug that falls off the clutch drive shaft. I'll open the clutch next weekend and check it.

whaaaaa? I've never heard of this one.... I'm about to rip into my clutch.. can you post a link?

I'm new to this forum and don't know if I should post links of other forums here, but doing a search I found several posts on shifting problems like mine that were solved by replacing that plug with loctite. Hope this is my problem too, as it's an easy fix.

i dunno... I'm up in the air on springs.... I'd like something with a bit more grip... so... EBC's are 15% stronger... Barnett's are 15% or more.... Vesrah I think is 10-15% stronger.... so.. there are many choices... some guys over at the FZ1OA had problems with the Barnett springs breaking..... Glenn recommends Vesrah... so, I'll probably go with those..

Jumping out of gear

Opened the clutch and see what I found!

http://img150.imageshack.us/img150/7074/plugembreagem.pdf

Now waiting for the cover gasket arrive from the dealer to assemble and test it. Hope this solves the problem.

Hey Carlos,
I could not open your link to see what you found.

I have the same problem, my bike keeps on finding neutral in between all of the gears, if I don't change up or down really hard.
I could not see the plug you are talking about in the service manual, and I wasn't sure if you were talking about the shift shaft or the clutch, when you spoke about the clutch drive shaft.
I am keen to hear how you go before I start pulling things apart.

:)
Hey Carlos,
I could not open your link to see what you found.

I have the same problem, my bike keeps on finding neutral in between all of the gears, if I don't change up or down really hard.
I could not see the plug you are talking about in the service manual, and I wasn't sure if you were talking about the shift shaft or the clutch, when you spoke about the clutch drive shaft.
I am keen to hear how you go before I start pulling things apart.

Hey, Clark

Here are the pics

The cap was laying inside the basket. Failure of Yamaha's engineering... The oil system loses pressure and that missing cap could cause insuficient lubrication for all the engine circuits.

dsc02685a.jpg

I made my own cap in machined aluminum, pressed in with high strenght loc tite

dsc00008a.jpg

Here's it assembled

dsc00009a.jpg

Shifting problem is gone.;)

Same Issue

I just purchased a 2003 R1 and Rode it home had the exact same issue with 5th to 6th and unable to get the bike in to Neutral when arrived home. I pulled the clutch apart and found the cap in the clutch not knowing what it was. Was going to ring Yamaha tomorrow but now I can open back up and place the cap in with some locktite and see how it goes.

I don't see this cap in the parts fiche, which part number is it?
Thanks

Have had a look at the Manual and cant find it in the explode views. It looks like an off cut of material not the best part. It is located in the shaft that runs through to the gearbox. I replaced mine after work today and fired her up. It was a noticeable difference immediately, I let it run for 5mins and then put in gear and was 100% what it was. I will be looking a machine a new cap like the one picture above to ensure it does not fall out again. If you are missing yours you may have to have one machined which wont take a lot. Will just need a lathe and some alloy.

Back