Hard Drive Question

BroHay

Stihl Loves Trees
have an HP dv1245 -- lately whenever the hard drive is being accessed, it makes a grinding sound as it reads information.

Does not appear to affect anything, but guess all ya IT/Repair guys, is this something that I should be concerned about??

have an HP dv1245 -- lately whenever the hard drive is being accessed, it makes a grinding sound as it reads information.

Does not appear to affect anything, but guess all ya IT/Repair guys, is this something that I should be concerned about??

While not always a sign of a current problem I always assume it is a sign of imminent failure. Get your data backed up and get a new drive as soon as possible.

If it is a light sound like it is frantically reading and writing data it could simply be that a.) you need to defragment your hard drive. b.) you do not have enough RAM installed and it is caching a lot of data in the page file on the hard drive.

Last edited:
Not sure about the HP's but if you ever heard those Quantum Seagates running, they sound like friggin Model T Fords coming down the road. I will only use Western Digital Hard Drives. I've only had one issue with one about 7 years ago and they honored their 3 year warranty with no fuss. I will say that Brad is right, you had better back up anything that you don't want to lose, especially if the H.D. was previously quiet and now makes noise.

data backed up and running Win7 pro now....

@Brad -- have 4 GB Ram -- trying to find deal to upgrade to 8GB....

I use Auslogics to Weekly if not Daily streamline the system -- use its defrag program b/c I guess I'm oldschool XP and like to see something taking place....

I'm going to call HP -- and see if there are any known issues-- since computer is less than 6mos old....

data backed up and running Win7 pro now....

@Brad -- have 4 GB Ram -- trying to find deal to upgrade to 8GB....

I use Auslogics to Weekly if not Daily streamline the system -- use its defrag program b/c I guess I'm oldschool XP and like to see something taking place....

I'm going to call HP -- and see if there are any known issues-- since computer is less than 6mos old....

Is this a 64-bit system? If it is 32-bit more RAM won't do you any good. In fact part of what you have now is being wasted if it is 32bit.

Anyway, with 4GB even on 64bit Windows 7 I would not expect there to be much caching to HD that would account for noise. I would pursue replacement with HP. Run their diagnostics on the HD also. If it it throws errors they will want to codes. It will save you time sitting through hold with them twice. :)

I buy all my RAM from RAM Memory Upgrade: Dell, Mac, Apple, HP, Compaq. USB drives, flash cards, SSD at Crucial.com. Guaranteed to work with exact systems and often times has free 2nd day air. Great prices to boot.

yes 64 bit Pro---I do alot of file viewing for autocad and such -- and when I've taken a look, during some of the processes.....I'm close to maxxed out.....multitasking fiend I am....

Back