Handlebar swap - Renthal?

Looking to swap out my handlebars and trying to make sure I have my ducks in a row before starting.

Plan: Renthal 758 with ~40mm risers. Stock cables

I like the grip location but the angle of the grip is too much for me. I'm OK going a little farther up, but overall stock location is fine, little wider is a plus.

I do not want to change out cables at this time, if possible I don't want to reroute anything either since it's my daily driver and I'm doing this outside unfortunately, so timing is an issue.

From a what I gather this is possible with lower risers as everything ends up pretty close to stock location, just a little bit wider.

And does anyone have any measurements or pictures where you drill a hole in the bar so the controls don't shift? I'd want to have that done before doing this if possible.

Last edited:
Playing around with all the specs between some options a 658 with a 1" Pullback on the riser might be the best option. The bar angle much better matches my hand and with the pullback the inside of my thumb will be closer than 758 (but slightly farther at the heal of my palm).

All the pullback risers also seem to go up an inch, which is fine. From what I've measured off these specs is I need about 1.75" extra length out if the cables, which I should be able to get from stock hopefully without even rerouting anything.

I have the 758's on my Gen 1. Direct swap with plenty of room on the cables. Shouldn't be a problem with the risers your looking into.
I put the bars on and marked the handlebars for the holes for the controls so I don't have the measurements.

Not renthals, but rizomas. Went to swap mine and found out they are not threaded for bar ends. That'll have to wait til the lathe is powered up so i can make bigger ends. Just like my fzr1k's.

Thought the factory bar ends where m16 X 1.5?

Going for a long ride today I find when I try not to be conscious of where the Grips are and just reach out, I'm consistently an inch farther out, edge of my hand towards the end of the bar end. Find cruising with my hands placed like that that my back is actually tense normally when they are in the factory location.
Inside of my thumb webbing is also about a half inch away from the grip at natural posture, so the sweep is too much.

Found some risers by Neken that can be 30, 35, 40 or 45mm, which might be a nice buy to dial things in. Recon the extra width of the 758 bars will eat up most my stock cable slack pretty quick, but I may have some options.

I use the steel Bikemaster superbike bend, which looks to be a similar bend to the Renthal 758, and weighted bar ends with expandable rubber plugs.
Mine had aftermarket bars when I bought it, but the pullback of the stocker looks weird to me.

Anyone know of some good 35-40mm risers?

The neken ones are out of stock everywhere if I want a 10mm bolt.

Not sure drilling things out to 12mm will be possible at the moment. Which is stupid cause that's easy to do lol

I took some risers off my 05 when i got it, they were a inch up and back (merica). Im much happier with no risers other than the rizoma bar. I could look for them if you want them. They are powdercoated black. 5858CCBE-FC8F-4EEA-8CFD-4F653CF37109.jpeg

Last edited:
Gen 1 risers might work. Not seeing anything lowered from Rox.

2nd option I suppose is a 658 bar. Similar to the Gen 2 factory bar but a little wider with less sweep.

I'd have to lean a bit more though.

Also not sure if it would hit a copperdawg screen.

Anyone have a picture of a 658 and a stock bar?

Looking to swap out my handlebars and trying to make sure I have my ducks in a row before starting.

Plan: Renthal 758 with ~40mm risers. Stock cables

I like the grip location but the angle of the grip is too much for me. I'm OK going a little farther up, but overall stock location is fine, little wider is a plus.

I do not want to change out cables at this time, if possible I don't want to reroute anything either since it's my daily driver and I'm doing this outside unfortunately, so timing is an issue.

From a what I gather this is possible with lower risers as everything ends up pretty close to stock location, just a little bit wider.

And does anyone have any measurements or pictures where you drill a hole in the bar so the controls don't shift? I'd want to have that done before doing this if possible.
I used pro taper Carmichael bend bars. Trimmed 3/4 of an inch off ea end. Used 1in risers. Added some pretty heavy bar ends (don’t remember the exact weight but the heaviest I could find). No cable rerouting. I have the puig shield that I did have to notch out with a dremmel tool to clear the brake lever (very easy). Bars end up being about stock height but a little wider and straighter.
Have the same bars on my dirt bike and gen 1 Vmax. I like the a lot. Very comfortable, good control.

Attachments

• IMG_6829.jpeg
    IMG_6829.jpeg
    4.1 MB · Views: 7
  • IMG_6828.jpeg
    IMG_6828.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 7
Forgot to mention I added very thin strips of rubber in the bar clamps. The clamp bolts did work loose one time allowing the bars to slip. Added some blue loktite, torqued to spec. That was 8-10k miles ago and no further issues.

Back