Hand guards for Hippo Hands

Steve F

Hi All
It won’t be long before old man winter is here. Last year I bought a pair of Hippo Hands.
Hippo Hands

They really work great for keeping the hands warm but they are dangerous at highway speeds. They will blow back onto the levers and once it flipped my kill switch. I haven’t used them since. You definitely need the hand guards or brush guards they recommend to use.

Will these work on a FZ1? Scroll down to the middle of the page where you see the package of hand guards (directly to the right of the "tools" menu on the left). Will I need the bar end kit which is further down the page?
Enduro Engineering Traditional Clamp Handguards - 7/8 inch bars

Never having installed one of these I’m wondering if the dimensions will clear the front brake reservoir on the right, and the switches/ turn signal on the left. Will I need the bar end kit?
Thanks

Yeah, you don't want something FLOPPY on the grips and levers. The other bikes in the ad show full fairing cruisers, and that might work with no wind flow. With the FZ, the grips are in the wind...

If you get a chance, look at something like the BMW R1200GS that has the handguards. Check out how sturdy they are and the heated grips - They give free test rides - not condoning you buying a BMW, but check out the handguards and grips. I had one of these bikes in Germany, and they were the BOMB. The one that you posted looks neat, but I am concerned at higher than dirtbike speeds of the plastic flexing back into the grips, leavers, or hands.

Back