Haley Rider Odometer - "Hit 10K in 3 years"

OK - this is a photo posted by one of my very good friends. He is a great guy and I don't want to leak his name or any details but I COULDN'T RESIST posting this about about the Harley Culture.

The caption read: "SWEET!!!! This only took 3 years"

RyansHarleyOdometer_zps081a55d0.jpg

I have to say - that is better than most Harley riders. My buddy hits rallies and gatherings almost every weekend so I'm glad he gets out and rides. The really funny thing is his friends reactions:

"Damn bro! You must live on that thing!!!"

"HOLY SH*T!!! That is some serious saddle time!!!"

And the best!

"Did you REALLY hit 10K or is photo shopped?"

I think the reactions are the best! My friend is a Moto God in their eyes for doing something most of us would consider pretty average.

I've put on 4,000 miles in 10 weeks. I plan on riding at least 1-2 months more before it gets too hot. Only about 1,000-1500 miles has been sport riding - canyon carving. The rest is commuting since I decided I no longer want to drive my car. I find the commute so much more enjoyable on the bike. I don't know what it would fee like on a HD. I mean if you're riding a sofa with no where near the get up and go the Fz1 has then it would be kind of scary I imagine.

Commuting on two wheels is usually better than four, irrespective of what you're riding. I commuted for several years on a Shadow 750. Compared to the FZ1, it was a dog. Did that make my ride less enjoyable? Not in the least. To be honest, I got the same thrill out of sliding my butt off the seat and leaning that Shadow over in a hard curve that I do with the FZ1. The FZ1 is "easier" to ride aggressively, but that doesn't mean that cruisers have to be boring.

10k is a lot in 3 years for one of those pigs. I mean if ya gotta fix it every time you ride it takes time away from racking up miles. Same reason I bought a Yammie and sold my stupid Duc.
I was very close to giving up riding after that pile.

The first season I had my FZ, I put 17,000 miles on her..... but when I was still running the motorcycle shop, it was nothing odd to see someone come in with a 98 Harley with 2500 miles on the ODO.... to each their own... some use it occasionally... for me, I rode the bike every day for about 2 years... rain, shine, snow. (FWIW, riding in snow is stupid, and it cost me a set of wheels due to the salt)

I still only managed 10,000 in 2 years, and that's with at least 1 or 2 moderate trips a year. I hope to ride much more this year. I keep waiting on spring, but no luck so far. I don't intentionally ride in the rain, but it happens. :rmwl:

The best part is the speedo goes to 120mph. :rofl:

I don't think there is any need to slam H-D riders, or any rider for that matter, for their relatively low annual mileage. Cruiser riders usually have a destination in mind, usually a gathering of other bikers, so they don't go out for a couple of hundred miles ride like we might do. It is what it is, at least they are on two, sometimes three, wheels and not in an a/c SUV or luxury sedan.

I only put on about 4,000 miles a year on my FZ1 and am not going to apologize to anyone because I'm not racking up 18-20k miles a season like other people. We all have lives to live and sometimes that doesn't allow time or the desire to put in extensive saddle time. On average, the longer people are into bikes the lower annual mileage they rack up. When new to the sport we all want to be out there all the time, but over the years this is tempered by other intrusions of life and other interests. In fact, if you look at the Statistical Abstract of the US and go to the Transportation section you can back calculate average miles for motorcycles. The latest year for which complete data is available (2008) shows there are 7,753,000 registered m/c's in the USA, and the total mileage ridden is 14,900,000,000 mi, that gives an average annual rate of 1,922 mi per year. This number is pretty consistent over the years, in 2000 it was about 2,500 mi/yr (perhaps more cruiser type bikes entered over the years depressing the avg in 2008, or maybe the recession). For every high mileage rider there are lots of occasional use bikes sitting in people's garages with super low mileage.

Statistical Abstracts -----> http://www.census.gov/prod/www/statistical_abstract.html

Last edited:
We all have lives to live and sometimes that doesn't allow time or the desire to put in extensive saddle time. On average, the longer people are into bikes the lower annual mileage they rack up. When new to the sport we all want to be out there all the time, but over the years this is tempered by other intrusions of life and other interests.

How true :yes:

A motorcycle is just a piece of equipment, much like a toaster. People are free to buy whatever equipment they want and use it as much or as little as they see fit. That said, I still enjoy snickering at the 1000 mile bikes I see for sale on Craigslist

Last edited:
I had another terrible riding year, only 1250 on the Tuono, 400 on the XV and 75 on the R6. That's April to April. :(

Sent from my LG-P925 using Tapatalk 2

The back is doing well. Thanks for asking.

I was thinking, I may not have ridden much but I made up for it in project time.

Sent from my LG-P925 using Tapatalk 2

Back