Gsxr 750?

I'd say it depends on a couple of factors. First off, your age. If your a young whippersnapper, you'd probably be able to deal with the tighter ergonomics on the Gixxer. Also, do you take really long jaunts or just buzz around town? I would believe that 200 miles or more on a Gixxer couldn't be that good on your hind quarters! Lastly, do you ride often with a passenger? I don't think they'd like the Gixxer after 15 minutes on the back. Believe me, if I could tolerate the track style seating position, low slung clip-ons, I'd get a full on sportbike as well. While my age has increased, (51), I still have the desire and mentality of a 20 year old. I just can't convince my body to follow suit!!:shame: I say if your comfortable on the Gixxer and you really like the bike, do what ultimately makes you happy. You can always sell it and go back. :cheers:

If you are young and/or flexible then go for it.
GSXR750's are awesome bikes and the power delivery is similar to the FZ1.
Most of the power is over 7000 rpm and they brake and handle much better than an FZ1.
I reckon they would be a fair bit faster than an FZ1 too due to the lighter weight and awesome motor.
I loved my 2004 GSXR750 and the newer ones are even better.
If I was younger myself I'd still be riding Sportbikes.

Sent from my SG3

I don't know that I would trade the FZ1 for the Gixxer 750. I know that some will disagree with me but I don't think there is a HUGE amount of difference between the 2 bikes in performance. The GSXR will handle better but you can also beef up the FZ1 suspension and be pretty close - and be a lot more comfortable.
FZ1 owners tend to be pretty open minded. LOL Go over to the GSXR Forum and compare :shame: So a lot of us own track bikes or other "Sport" bikes. I love riding my R1 - it's a fantastic bike but I would not want to drive it long distances. I honestly don't think there is one "Best bike". I think there are bikes that are best for your personal needs. Are you going to be commuting? Are you going to be doing track days? Racing? Canyons? etc...... You have to clearly identify what type of riding you are going to do. Then pick the best bike for that job.
So I would not pick the 750.....I have beaten one of those in a race with my Gen 1. If you want a sport bike then I would go up to the GSXR 1000 - NOW THAT IS AN AMAZING MACHINE!!!!! You will not be disappointed with either one of them but one thing that I feel with the FZ1's is that it is SO SMOOTH and nice to drive that people actually get complacent with it. Not all bikes will be that smooth. The Gixxer will feel like you are riding on rails but you will feel it when you drive a good distance. You will also feel it on REALLY BUMPY roads as well.
Let us know what you decide. Most of us have more than one bike......

Can not afford 2 bikes. Mostly commuting and a few long distance jaunts. The 750 is a better handling machine from factory where you have to make the fz1 better with suspension mods. Also read that the gsxr line is the most comfortable of the japanese 4. Is this true for the people who have ridden different japanese sport bikes?

Re: Gsxr 750

The GSX-R 750 is an awesome bike and if you want to try one, you should. Bikes are cheap and easy to sell & trade. Go for it :)

Well it sounds like you are really interested in the Gixxer. They are great bikes so I would recommend going to step 2. Go into any dealer and ask to do a test ride. As long as you have a license - salesmen are more than happy to let you go on a ride. Sometimes a representative will follow you but you should be able to get a good sense of what the bike is all about. No amount of reading will compare to a test ride. I would bring your FZ1 so they can look at it and tell you a trade in number. That way you will have all of your information and you can make the best decision.
BTW - don't kid yourself into thinking that you will not mod that GSXR. Gixxer's have probably the highest number of available mods. That is very hard to resist. Once you spend about 6 months on that bike - Mod Fever kicks in. At least that is my time frame. :sinister:

Proud GSX-R fan right here. First bike 03 GSX-R 600, second 03 GSX-R 1000. I rode both in almost every type of situation. Pics below are of one adventure in AZ, all three are from the same day beginning to end. I also used to blast from Tucson to San Diego or LA frequently during the summers (600+ miles). I was usually dead to the world for a few hours trying to recover when I got there. They will and can do everything well, and by far the most comfortable of all the Japanese sport bikes especially the early FI models. Deadly on and off the track in terms of raw performance. They don't crash "well" usually explode into a shower of parts. They are very cheap to fix though. Despite the relative comfort when compared to other SS bikes, there is no comparison to the FZ. Clip on angles, high rear sets, vibs, wind interference, all add up on a long ride. You won't notice this in town or on short <100 mile rides. With all pro's and cons considered I feel like I "graduated" to my FZ1. After riding just about every kind/brand of bike, the FZ1 was the happy medium between a full SS and tourer. With an R1 conversion, exhaust, gear down (-1), and PC3 the FZ is my perfect all around bike. The next track bike will likely be a GSX-R or CBR. Good luck with the decision, I don't think you can lose either way.
noroad_zpscd8d36a0.jpg

Notice the lack of paved roads, 100 miles into northern AZ national park the tarmack just ended. Fuck you google maps.

out_zpsf60f108c.jpg

We hit everything from wash boards to sand pits with huge ruts after this. At one point we had to push each other's bikes one at a time through deep sand. Ripped off my Yosh, and blew out a fork seal. Again fuck you google maps.

gsnow_zps396cb5e9.jpg

Yes we did ride in the snow for a bit, it was by far the most terrifying experience of my life. This was about an hour after we arrived at the hotel in Flagstaff. The look on the hotel clerk when we pulled in was priceless.

Isn't the S1000RR supposed to be quite comfortable for a full-on sportbike? They're probably much more expensive than the gixxer though.

Have recently sold my 09 FZ1 & bought a K9 Gixxer 1000 & absolutely LLOOOOOOOVVVVVEE it! GSXR's tend to be ergonomically friendly (for a sports bike). Im 40+ with arthritis in both my knees & muscular skeletal problems in my forearms & shoulders but can still spend a couple of hours in the saddle of the Gixxer as long as its not a constant throttle position (boring highway stuff) which is good as I prefer the twisties. Best thing to do is put your bum on the seat, go for a fang & see what you think.:sport12:

Last edited:
Have recently sold my 09 FZ1 & bought a K9 Gixxer 1000 & absolutely LLOOOOOOOVVVVVEE it! GSXR's tend to be ergonomically friendly (for a sports bike). Im 40+ with arthritis in both my knees & muscular skeletal problems in my forearms & shoulders but can still spend a couple of hours in the saddle of the Gixxer as long as its not a constant throttle position (boring highway stuff) which is good as I prefer the twisties. Best thing to do is put your bum on the seat, go for a fang & see what you think.:sport12:

Very nice :thumbup:

Sent from my SG3

I had a gsxr-750. I bought it new when I was 39. That was 6 years ago so I guess it was an '06 or an '07. It was FUN to ride for 20 minutes or so and then my wrists would hurt some. Don't get me wrong. I put 12K miles on it and rode it on trips that were as long as 8-10 hours long. The ergonomics of the bike kinda put a cramp on most trips that were over a half hour or so, though. I prefer the '07 FZ1 that I ride now over the gsxr for sure. Both are really cool bikes but if you want a bike that you plan to RIDE and you want a somewhat upright seating position then stick with an FZ1. In my opinion.

depends on what you're going to do with it. it's one of the best track bikes out there. for the street. meh, i'd take the fz over it any day, far more comfortable and you'll go just as fast on either bike on public roads

I am 5 foot 8 so I do not think I will be cramped on the bike but just nervous about buyers remorse. Have the new bike itch. Checked insurance rates for the gsxr 750 and Foremost is better than my current Progressive.

Im also 5 foot 8 & am comfortable on the Gixxer, my best mate is 6 foot 4 & rides a Busa but still reckons my Gixxer is comfortable for him. Ride as many bikes as you can & figure which suits you best for your type of riding. Then buy it!

Back